Bye bye Strava.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 1258

I run a basic cateye computer and just enjoy my pedalling, its nice to realize your going well and riding quick but in the scheme of things its unimportant, the most important thing is to enjoy it and ride safe.

potsy

Rambler
I use Strava for fun, don't take it too seriously as I know I'm never gonna compete with the big boys.
Useful to see my own improvements though, and as an alternative logging site :thumbsup:

Also makes for some good banter at work as there are 4 of us on it and a few more to come soon.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
I was seriously considering using Strava, thought it may be a bit of fun. However after having a look at some of my local segments and seeing that some people seemed to be going up the hills faster than I was going down them I decided not to bother. (I'm sure some of them are on motorbikes!)

lejogger

Guru
Just because you're not top of a leaderboard doesn't mean you've got nothing to be proud of. NOW is the time to be on there logging times because it's still essentially in its infancy, and there are segments that are relatively under used and you can go for some KOMs.
Realistically in a couple of years, the pro and semi pro riders will have pretty much put them all out of the reach of us mere mortals, but that doesn't make the site redundant. Who knows how the site will evolve. Maybe they will add different classifications of KOM depending on gradient? Maybe they'll split the elite riders into separate leagues?
As long as you're climbing you've always got something to strive for... aim to move up one place at a time, not all the way to the top. Set your own private segments where you only compete against yourself. It gives you a marker to show your improvement. Even just use it for the benefit of seeing your route plotted and the profiles of your rides.

I upload every ride, even on my commuter when I know I'll get nowhere near my own times on the carbon let alone the top positions. The data all helps build up your riding profile and makes your stats much more accurate.

Of course everyone has differing competitive aspirations, but imo, Strava is a tremendous way of allowing us all to join in with the fun that the pros have, and who knows, we all very occasionally have one of those days where our legs are feeling good, and maybe the tailwind fairies are smiling down on us and we can put ourselves in contention a couple of times.

Robeh

I use stava and find it very useful to map my progress
I get Pr's quite often and get in the top 10 of segments but i don't take it to serious TBH.
life's to short:reading:

Robeh

I use Strava for fun, don't take it too seriously as I know I'm never gonna compete with the big boys.
Useful to see my own improvements though, and as an alternative logging site :thumbsup:

Also makes for some good banter at work as there are 4 of us on it and a few more to come soon.
:cheers:

lulubel

Über Member
I like Strava because it makes me feel good about myself. There are so few women who ride around here that no-one is on Strava (apart from the odd holiday maker) so I get the QOMs all to myself.

Seriously, even though I upload all my rides to Strava, I still ride at whatever speed I feel like. If I feel really good on a particular day, and I know there's a segment coming up, I might go for it. (On one particular climb, I was gulping air and seeing black spots by the end because I knew I could get to the top of the male and female leaderboard if I really tried.) But most days, I stick to my usual pootling about speed and just enjoy myself. Most of my own PBs were set on days when I felt really strong, and I know I don't stand much chance of even beating my own times on most days, so I don't bother trying.

yello

I'm happy enough with Strava just as a logging thing,

That's pretty much all I do with it too. It is interesting to set up your own segments, not so much to focus on bettering your times but just seeing the different times you get. I use it as a measure of progress.... and, no, I haven't progressed :laugh:

Around were I live,there are no other folk using Strava so I don't have competition. I have ridden segments ridden by others in other regions of France but I'm so far off their pace for it to be laughable.

Top Bottom