C2C bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Queequeg55

Hi,

I am going to try the C2C (Whitehaven to Tynemouth) ride next month and am after 2 pieces of advice.

1) What kind of bike is best suited for this ? I currently have a mountain bike - a GT Aggressor XC1 - which is great but I don't think it is ideal for the C2C.

2) Where can I exchange my bike - either straight exchange or part exchange ? I live in the north west of England near Liverpool and Manchester. My GT aggressor is in pretty good nick and so ideally I'd like to simply swap it for something of roughly equivalent value that is more suited to the distance of the C2C - something that I can get panniers fitted to and will be an easier ride for the 40 to 50 miles a day for the C2C.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Thanks

PK99

Legendary Member
Queequeg55 said:
Hi,

I am going to try the C2C (Whitehaven to Tynemouth) ride next month and am after 2 pieces of advice.

1) What kind of bike is best suited for this ? I currently have a mountain bike - a GT Aggressor XC1 - which is great but I don't think it is ideal for the C2C.

Thanks

a crowd of us did it on mtbs a few years ago, most of the people we saw were also using mtbs

Now, i'd use my tricross or tourer if i had one but would not consider using a full on racing style

killiekosmos

Veteran
I did C2C a few years ago on my £140 Raleigh Firefly (MTB but no sus), fitted with guards and a rack.

I think your current bike with racks and guards could do the job. I think your bike has got fittings for rear rack. You might be glad of it on some of the rougher bits, alternatively, rather than swap your MTB could you not hire a tourer fo a few days to do the trip?

bottombracket

I did it on a tourer, most others I saw used MTB's.
To be honest, you can probably do it on anything as long as you have low enough gears and a way of carrying your kit... You might struggle on a unicycle but it could be fun!
Maybe just fit less aggressive tyres to your GT...

Enjoy!!

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Should be fine. Just swap the tyres for something more suitable for road/light offroad (the missus swears by Schwalbe landcruisers), and keep the forks locked out.

Top Bottom