c2w commuter bike - Boardman adv 8.9 vs triban 520 or something else?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

da_murphster

Looking for something on the c2w scheme.

I have to stick to the named suppliers and am looking at £800 max spend.

Current steed is a £200 Halfords TDF but recent knee issues means I need to look to cycling to try to keep the middle aged spread at bay.

I currently do 13 miles (return) most days (on poor roads), no racing etc. Will be looking to up this to include a couple of decent longer cycles a week

Wants:
- Need decent brakes (for the cars/pedestrians who regularly step/pull out in front of me
- comfy
- fast
- ability to fit mudguards
- maybe fit pannier (currently use rucksack)

I know nothing about these things but am drawn to these after a bit of internet research

Boardman adv bike, £100, with 20% off and possible additional 10-15% over that as my local halfords usually stack the discounts! (so possibly £720-ish but assume £800)

https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/adventure-bikes/boardman-adv-8-9-mens-adventure-bike two options:

Or maybe the triban 520?

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-rc-520-disc-road-bike-navy-105-id_8554421.html

Anyone offer any guidance on which is a 'better' bike?

Is the difference between tigra and 105 significant on these bikes?

Should I be concerned about ability to have tubeless tyres (I think they both can take them)?

Anything else I should be considering?

OP
OP
D

da_murphster

Ah, and Halfords 20% discount finishes tomorrow!

rivers

How far can I go?
Cracking tyres on the triban adventure bike. To be honest, that's the bike I would probably go with (the triban adventure). My CX bike has tiagra with hydraulic discs, and there isn't much in shifting difference between that and the 105, but the 105 spec at decathlon is cheaper. I find the wider tyres nicer on uk roads (especially in the West Country). I went tubeless on my CX bike, with the hutchinson overide tyres, as I'll mostly be using it to commute, and in winter, and I can't be asked to fumble with a tube in the cold and the wet. Not so worried on my summer bike as it only goes out when it is nice. The overide's are a fast tyre, nice and grippy, good compromise for pavement and hard pack/gravel.

vickster

Legendary Member
You can't usually get further discounts with C2W from Halfords so bear in mind

Also, you may not be able to use your voucher at Halfords and Decathlon (depending on which scheme you can access)

10 parts for Tiagra are likely to be cheaper than 11 speed 105, something to consider if ongoing costs are likely to be a concern

Go ride the different options :smile:

OP
OP
D

da_murphster

I'm going to try and have a look tomorrow but I know Halfords don't do test rides.

I do prefer the look of the Boardman - I know that shouldnt matter!

Tempted just to go for it with the boardman as the discount from the c2w scheme means that worst case i sell it on when the scheme is up.

vickster

Legendary Member
I'm going to try and have a look tomorrow but I know Halfords don't do test rides.

I do prefer the look of the Boardman - I know that shouldnt matter!

Tempted just to go for it with the boardman as the discount from the c2w scheme means that worst case i sell it on when the scheme is up.
Cycle Republic do if you have one close by (there’s one in Bristol)

Of course looks matter, you want to enjoy riding it. For me, it’s probably v close to the top if the list after comfort/fit.
I wouldn’t buy a bike I didn’t like aesthetically

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

da_murphster

So I went to go and order the Boardman.....no stock anywhere....grrr
Found a display one locally and they are going to honour the 20% (and maybe wangle more for ex-display)

Going to look this afternoon.

Exciting!

OP
OP
D

da_murphster

Oops, who is?
Or buy with an interest free CC with all the discounts? Or 12 months IFC
https://www.halfords.com/advice/cycling/buyers-guides/flexible-finance-at-halfords

Seems to be a bunch of smaller shops, which is fine but I'm got going to get the bang for buck I was hoping for.

Evans is on there but even their £1000 bikes do not seem to be (to my uneducated eye) as well kitted out as the boardman:

https://www.evanscycles.com/cannondale-synapse-alloy-disc-tiagra-2019-road-bike-EV338189

I looked at the Halfords interest free but the c2w is still a much more 'efficient' way of buying a bike - the boardman would have ended up costing me £420 or so.

Top Bottom