Cable Stretch ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Stu Smith

Veteran
Do gear cables or brake cable stretch? Read on a different thread (can't find it now) that they don't.
So why would I periodically have to adjust the rear derailleur indexing..

Gatters

could be the jockey wheel bearings wearing?

screenman

Legendary Member
Do gear cables or brake cable stretch? Read on a different thread (can't find it now) that they don't.

When was the last time you checked hanger alignment?

screenman

Legendary Member
I haven't and to be honest, I wouldn't know how to. The Indexing does not require adjusting regular just occasionally, I've always put this down as cable stretch.

You should start every adjustment of the rear mech by checking the hanger alignment first, we have found even one's that have not been knocked since the last time they were checked will go out slightly.

OP
OP
Stu Smith

Stu Smith

Veteran
You should start every adjustment of the rear mech by checking the hanger alignment first
Its never entered my head to check the hanger alignment, the rear mech as never had a knock as far as I know?
I'll check on YouTube how to check the alignment and see if its out..

Cable might be slipping, check the bolt that pinches the cable
The pinch bolt is tight, thanks for the suggestion..

Drago

Legendary Member

On the other thread to which you make reference there are several posts explaining by what mechanism the outers wear and compress, thus apparently shortening in relation to the inner and necessitating occasional adjustment of the mech.

Top Bottom