Cadence going nuts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lizzy

Hi

I have a Garmin FR60 - which I hate, been rife with all sorts of issue, on my second version for everything apart from the watch mount.

Ok I have cadence unit, and wheels 700x45c, which roll test to around 2260 with no weight on it.
I have this programmed into the watch and changed the battery but starting in the late autumn the watch kept clocking I was much faster, ie more than twice as fast as I am going and the distance is wrong too. The RPM is right, ok I don't know if it is but it is comparable to my normal cycle speed.

I've replaced the battery and reset the unit

Anyone got any thoughts on what is wrong?

Thanks

Lisa

With the cadence being right I'm suspecting rather the batteries the wheel size may be wrong but I don't know how the unit works, it may also be suffering from interference.

OP
OP
Lizzy

Lizzy

Thanks HLab,

I don't think it can be interference, because surly that would require other bikes to be around, and they are not, necessarily.

It may be something about the wheel size or that may well be A solution. The watch is in mm, so basically I've entered the wheel circumference into the watch, which I think has remained constant since I got the bike. It's a wee bit weird maybe I need to retry another battery.

Thanks

Lisa

OP
OP
Lizzy

Lizzy

ITs the battery in the cadence unit I've changed, not tried to change the watch, not sure I would know how.

I've also paired the watch to the cadence unit several times

But thanks for the ideas

Andrew_P

In between here and there
Not sure on the unit but does it have an auto wheel size? The only time my Edge unit reports weird speeds is when it is SatNav only mode.

OP
OP
Lizzy

Lizzy

Thanks Loco, sorry no, its more cluncky than that, a simple cadence no satnav. I will change the battery again and see about changing the watch battery, although that seems to be weird that this is the only malfunction.

OP
OP
Lizzy

Lizzy

Fossyant, will try that, to be honest I've gone through a whole bunch of batteries while trying to sort out garmin malfunctions, never again will I buy the brand, but I would rather the product lasted more then 6 months before it needed to be replaced. Hopefully I can sort it out and buy a replacement product much later next year.

wheres_my_beard

Über Member
Just a thought: When you say that the speed is more than twice what you are going, how much more is it?

If it's about 3 times more then you should have entered the wheel diameter into the device, not the circumference.

OP
OP
Lizzy

Lizzy

Income - my guess is a little over 2.3 or 2.4 -ish. My normal top speed is average speed is 11-14 mph depending on where I cycle, currently 25-30.2 mph+. With the bulk being over 30, I just don't have that much power in my legs. On a good day I'd average 15 mph, but that would be flat, traffic free, weather permitting etc.

Scilly Suffolk

Über Member
Could you clarify/confirm a couple of things please:
- your wheels are 700c with 45mm tyres. These tyres seem quite big for someone who trains at a level where this sort of data-logging would be useful.
- what is a roll test and how did you perform it; is 2260 mm, inches, revolutions etc.; does "no weight" mean riderless.
- what changed in Autumn? New bike, wheels, tyres, battery?
- what exactly is wrong? Your post is titled "Cadence going nuts" but then write "The RPM is right...". You also write "...more than twice as fast as I am going and the distance is wrong..." but contradict this by writing "...but it is comparable to my normal cycle speed."

The battery on the speed/cadence unit should last years; that in the watch, about a year. You'll need to take it to a jeweler's to have it changed to ensure the watch remains waterproof.

You might find this page useful to double check that you have set up and calibrated everything correctly, the cycling section is about a quarter of the way down.

OP
OP
Lizzy

Lizzy

Ok having changed the battery it still malfunctioning, so now I've changed the watch battery and the cadence unit battery to no avail.

So I've now taken to messing with the bike wheel size, put it down to 223 wheel size which didn't seem to have any effect, but then I didn't re-sync it, changed it to 1000 and that did reduce the speed, so I'm guessing I now need to plug in the diameter size, which seems really weird because it worked fine before October then started malfunctioning, surely Garmin can't have changed it without telling anyone.... grrrrr, maybe a software update without instructions.

HATE this brand

Top Bottom