Cadence on touring bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 1258

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Does anyone use cadence on their cycling computer on their touring bike. I'm finding it quite useful as it tells me when to change gear when it is too high or low.

Measuring cadence is pointless. Your legs should be telling you when to change up or down a gear. If it feels comfortable, it's the right cadence for you. If it feels like hard work, then you're in the wrong gear. There's no need to complicate a simple is it comfortable? yes/no question with a load of pseudo-science mumbo jumbo.

The ideal cadence when touring is whatever is comfortable

...and that is how to enjoy touring. By not giving such things as cadence, hr, speed etc much thought. Touring is enjoying a ride, not worrying about such matters.

Unless you are competing in a race, none of this power output, speed, heart rate, cadence, aerodynamic efficiency or any of the other stuff regularly trotted out, matters in the slightest. It might be mildly interesting to know how many miles you cover or what your average speed is over a given route or on a certain bike, but there's no point in obsessing about cycling stats and letting those stats control how you ride rather than just going out with the intention of having an enjoyable and safe ride. Use cycling computers intelligently, don't become a slave to the data they give you.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
I disagree on the cadence sensors and HRM debate. From my point of view anyway.

Using TrainerRoad here at home, my body has learned through the programme’s coaching and neurological conditioning to work at a higher cadence which suits my body in a more efficient way. I have also learned to ride within certain heart rate zones. If I’m going too hard I know I’ll blow up.

With all this knowledge I can ride further (or higher) and be in a good place, mentally and physically throughout the day. Therefore my enjoyment levels are higher. And the next day won’t be a chore. It’ll be another holiday.

Still I’m sure I could, in a round about way, get to this point without all the gadgetry. We’re just different kids with different tastes in the same old sweet shop.

OP
OP
GmanUK65

GmanUK65

Über Member
Well, I've decided to forget about this cadence now. I tried not to look at it on my commute home last night but could not help myself, it must be a habitual thing or an OCD lol. So, I've changed the displays on my Garmin 810 to the main screen having elapsed time, speed, distance, time of day and AVG speed. Some of these may not be needed but I think AVG speed and distance will be needed because say you need to get to the campsite before it is dark, you will need to know at what AVG speed to cover the distance to get to the campsite

snorri

Legendary Member
Some of these may not be needed but I think AVG speed and distance will be needed because say you need to get to the campsite before it is dark, you will need to know at what AVG speed to cover the distance to get to the campsite
Interesting approach, but I preferred to look at the passing sights rather than a speedo.
In the morning before setting out, I didn't know the location of the next campsite, it would have been putting myself under pressure to plan so far ahead. I might have had to speed past some interesting sights in order to comply with a self imposed itinerary.
Cycle touring is too pleasurable to rush!:smile:

Crankarm

Guru
Well I use cadence whether commuting, cycle touring or club riding. It is extremely useful. You can use it to become a more efficient stronger rider meaning you can ride further and quicker if need be. Cadence is your rev counter. Of all the measurements available to you when cycling I find it the most useful along with speed and distance. I wouldn't be riding without it. I have no problem looking around me when touring or when doing any other type of riding as I don't have my eyes glued to my Garmin.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
Well I use cadence whether commuting, cycle touring or club riding. It is extremely useful. You can use it to become a more efficient stronger rider meaning you can ride further and quicker if need be. Cadence is your rev counter.

Everybody uses cadence, whether consciously or unconsciously. The issue is whether or not you can judge whether you are pedalling at the optimum cadence without the help of a cycle computer.

OP
OP
GmanUK65

GmanUK65

Über Member
Interesting approach, but I preferred to look at the passing sights rather than a speedo.
In the morning before setting out, I didn't know the location of the next campsite, it would have been putting myself under pressure to plan so far ahead. I might have had to speed past some interesting sights in order to comply with a self imposed itinerary.
Cycle touring is too pleasurable to rush!:smile:
I might be guessing here but would I be correct in thinking that if a campsite cannot be found when you need to stop you can easily resort to wild camping. Me, at the moment, would try to keep away from wild camping and knowing a destination to head for keeps my mind at rest that I won't need to wild camping. I've tried wild camping before but was not solo(in fact never done any solo camping, which I know I must experience for my future touring). Most of it was fine, there was just a couple of private things I could not get my head round.

So, I suppose what I'm trying to say is people experience camping in different ways. You ride until you need to stop and camp and doesn't matter where (which is a good thing as not much planning is needed). Myself likes to know where I'm heading so I don't have to worry where I camp (so need to plan)

snorri

Legendary Member
So, I suppose what I'm trying to say is people experience camping in different ways. You ride until you need to stop and camp and doesn't matter where (which is a good thing as not much planning is needed). Myself likes to know where I'm heading so I don't have to worry where I camp (so need to plan)
Yes, there are several ways of approaching cycle touring, some people find forward planning gives a sense of security, others find it restrictive.
There is no right or wrong, we must just follow our own star!:smile:

The only time I have ever concentrated of performance on tour was when I had 90 miles to cover and a ferry to catch at the end of the ride. I knew I had to keep to schedule, and to maintain a fairly sprightly pace all day without slacking. Given the monotonous concrete roads, grey sea and high dyke, there was nothing else to do but head down and spin on. I timed it fairly well and had 20 mins to spare. I don't use a computer but after a few days of riding I can predict time/distance pretty well.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
No it is arbitrary. The science shows that cyclists have a range of optimal cadences, indeed a number of different studies have found wide variations in the determined optimum cadence - Coast & Welch, 1985 , 90–105 rpm; Eckermann & Millahn, 1967, 30–60 rpm; Hagberg, Mullin, Giese, & Spitznagel, 1981, 80–90 rpm; Wildrick, Freedson, & Hamill, 1992, 35–57 rpm for example.

The optimal cadence for any particular rider varies depending on a number of biomechanical differences, and also on what optimisation you are looking for. Foss & Halen found in 2004 that the optimum cadence for the same person increases the greater the amount of work required by the cyclist, therefore a touring cyclist on that measure could well expect to have a lower optimum cadence than a pro racer, simply because cycle touring is normally a lower power pursuit.

I do find it rather annoying to see people blindly quote values like this without understanding the mechanisms behind the calculations, and what the experiments they were derived from were trying to test.
This, this and this again.....

John Peel

Does anyone use cadence on their cycling computer on their touring bike. I'm finding it quite useful as it tells me when to change gear when it is too high or low. On a road bike it should be aimed at keeping it between 80 and 90 rpm, but what about tour bikes, what are peoples views?

Nah, touring is for chilling and just enjoying the ride, no rush. I have no idea what my cadence would be, and to be honest I don't think I have one :smile:

Top Bottom