Cafe Lock recommendations ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
I saw one of these in Decathlon, and went back to grab one as a lightweight alternative to a cable café lock.
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/500-bike-d-lock-black-id_8342034.html

It's pretty small and light.

Looks very like the Decathlon one I use for locking my front wheel in London. I got it because I figured it was almost as light as the traditional cable threaded through the D lock affair - and easier to pack on the bike. Good choice I think - not of course a high degree of security but thieves are more likely to go for ANY cable lock. Mine cost about £3.50 - somewhat inexplicably in a sale - it may be a notch lower security than yours.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I saw one of these in Decathlon, and went back to grab one as a lightweight alternative to a cable café lock.
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/500-bike-d-lock-black-id_8342034.html

It's pretty small and light.
It's also got the lock on the end of the bar and a pretty obvious-looking hinge rather than a locking catch on the other end - both of those are weak IMO. 4/10 on their own unspecified scale seems rather close to a "why the fark are you even selling it?" rating and at £9.99, it's only £1 cheaper than the retail price of the Oxford Shackle 12, which at least looks more like a strong D-lock if you scuff or tape over the model name, whereas there's no hiding a bar-end lock and a hinge.

not of course a high degree of security but thieves are more likely to go for ANY cable lock.
Only if they're only carrying wire cutters or there's a cable around a better-looking bike than yours. If they're carrying any sort of D-lock-capable kit, such a bad-looking D-lock is an invitation.

If you want lightweight, go alarmed. Don't mess with bad-design D-locks.

I think you are missing the point mjr that I only use it to secure the front wheel to the bike. I am confident that for that it is as good as a bulkier cable. If thieves look closely and go hmm, they will also see the quality D lock through the rear triangle. I like the hinge - makes it quick to use, one less thing to faff about. It's used on a bike that rides exceptionally well but doesn't look much to most folk.

So in short my bike will be better locked than most around it. And less of a prize.

I was aware of the rating when I bought it. And as I said it cost me £3.50, not £9.99

I feel more confident with my regime than using anything from the likes of Knog.

And do please remember that this is a thread about cafe locks.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Ok. On pure café lock criteria, a half kilo bad design D lock is too heavy to be a café lock, let alone if you add the weight of a real D lock through the back wheel too!

Top Bottom