Cafe Lock recommendations ?

Discussion in 'Components, Accessories and Clothing' started by kingrollo, 25 Jun 2018.

1. kingrollo

kingrollo Über Member

Seems jinxed with these tried a couple they always end breaking after a few uses - any recommendations - must be small and light.....

2. vickster

vickster Legendary Member

There's a Giant one that works ok. https://www.giant-bicycles.com/gb/giant-surelock-air-loop. It's very small but obviously not to be relied on out of sight

I had an Abus one that decided to make up its own code while in my bag so I'd avoid those! It went back for a refund unused

3. OP
    OP
    kingrollo

kingrollo Über Member

Thats the one that broke after a couple of outings !

4. Tin Pot

Tin Pot Guru

I wouldn’t recommend ever using a cafe lock. Never put your bike in a place you think that one will protect it. You will think it is safe when it is not, and it will be nicked.

5. vickster

Which one? The Giant?

Cafe locks are fine to lock your bike to other bikes but I wouldn't use to lock to anything else or itself obviously. That's assuming eyes are on the bikes and it's not a high risk area. I've not used ones for ages as I pretty much always carry a D lock

6. slowmotion

slowmotion Quite dreadful

I've got a Masterlock one. It's marginally better than nothing and it doesn't weigh much.
    Masterlock.jpg

7. Heltor Chasca

Heltor Chasca Out-Riding the Black Dog

8. mjr

mjr Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next

dave r likes this.
  9. DaveReading

DaveReading Veteran

Doesn't a "cafe lock" imply that you will have eyes on your bike, the object being to slow down an opportunist thief while you make your presence felt ?

Why is locking your bike to another one more secure than locking it to something immovable ?

derrick and dave r like this.
  10. Tin Pot

Tin Pot Guru

No. And all it really does is give you a false sense of security.

If you are in a place where someone might grab your bike and run off. Keep it to hand. Don’t put it out of reach with a single and easily compromisable lock that does not secure all parts of your bike. You will be let down.

Two strong/dlocks or no locks at all and don’t leave it unattended.

11. DaveReading

DaveReading Veteran

Fair enough. I'd have said it gives you a genuine sense of limited security.

mjr likes this.
  12. vickster

I always lock my bike nose to tail with another bike with one or preferably more small locks in awkward to snip places (and often the Abus granit). I feel I t would be much more difficult to subtly untangle the bikes than snip a cafe lock away from a stand and just ride away. I can't remember the last time I used a cafe lock though as I always have a d lock, I don't much care about the weight. 2 d locks is unnecessary outside a cafe, 1 is ample

13. mjr

mjr Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next

Ah, a follower of the false dichotomy school of security.

theclaud likes this.
  14. Crackle

Crackle Pah

This is the one I use. It's small enough to always carry

I doubt it's very secure but then it's not meant to be, it's meant to fulfil the terms of my bike insurance.

slowmotion likes this.
  15. vickster

That's the one I linked and the one that broke for the OP in 2 days

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice