Cafe Lock recommendations ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Seems jinxed with these tried a couple they always end breaking after a few uses - any recommendations - must be small and light.....

vickster

Legendary Member
There's a Giant one that works ok. https://www.giant-bicycles.com/gb/giant-surelock-air-loop. It's very small but obviously not to be relied on out of sight

I had an Abus one that decided to make up its own code while in my bag so I'd avoid those! It went back for a refund unused

Tin Pot

Guru
I wouldn’t recommend ever using a cafe lock. Never put your bike in a place you think that one will protect it. You will think it is safe when it is not, and it will be nicked.

vickster

Legendary Member
Thats the one that broke after a couple of outings !
Which one? The Giant?

Cafe locks are fine to lock your bike to other bikes but I wouldn't use to lock to anything else or itself obviously. That's assuming eyes are on the bikes and it's not a high risk area. I've not used ones for ages as I pretty much always carry a D lock

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I've got a Masterlock one. It's marginally better than nothing and it doesn't weigh much.
Masterlock.jpg

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
I wouldn’t recommend ever using a cafe lock. Never put your bike in a place you think that one will protect it.

Doesn't a "cafe lock" imply that you will have eyes on your bike, the object being to slow down an opportunist thief while you make your presence felt ?

Cafe locks are fine to lock your bike to other bikes but I wouldn't use to lock to anything else or itself obviously.

Why is locking your bike to another one more secure than locking it to something immovable ?

Tin Pot

Guru
Doesn't a "cafe lock" imply that you will have eyes on your bike, the object being to slow down an opportunist thief while you make your presence felt ?

No. And all it really does is give you a false sense of security.

If you are in a place where someone might grab your bike and run off. Keep it to hand. Don’t put it out of reach with a single and easily compromisable lock that does not secure all parts of your bike. You will be let down.

Two strong/dlocks or no locks at all and don’t leave it unattended.

vickster

Legendary Member

Why is locking your bike to another one more secure than locking it to something immovable ?
I always lock my bike nose to tail with another bike with one or preferably more small locks in awkward to snip places (and often the Abus granit). I feel I t would be much more difficult to subtly untangle the bikes than snip a cafe lock away from a stand and just ride away. I can't remember the last time I used a cafe lock though as I always have a d lock, I don't much care about the weight. 2 d locks is unnecessary outside a cafe, 1 is ample

This is the one I use. It's small enough to always carry

I doubt it's very secure but then it's not meant to be, it's meant to fulfil the terms of my bike insurance.

Top Bottom