Cafe Lock recommendations ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Which is, after all, what this thread is about.

Anyone arguing that you wouldn't leave your bike unattended, out of sight, secured with only a cafe lock is rather missing the point.
Fair point though the thread did stray further up into light locks used in the street.

Back to cafe locks.

zak3737

Über Member
Morning all,
just wondering what everyone carries to lock up their pride & joy on the occasions its needed on a Cafe Stop ?

I know frequently, when in a group etc, its perhaps not needed, but just sometimes.......it would come in useful.
Nothing heavy, or bulky, just secure enough to put off an oppoortunist etc, not someone armed with Bolt Croppers etc.

Thx

Mod Note:
Merged threads

Last edited by a moderator:

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
There's no such thing! It comes down to the location, your gut feeling, the lock requirements of your insurance and how much you really don't want to lose your bike.
ANY lock can be overcome and if someone pulls up in a van with the right kit then they can get away with several expensive bikes if it is a popular cyclist stop. Having said that, the very popular ones often have other cyclists milling around the bikes so you can often just use a light cable lock to stop someone casually walking up and riding your bike away without arousing suspicion.
My personal method is that if the cheap/light cable lock doesn't feel safe then someone has to stay and guard the bikes. This is not necessarily a hardship as it often just means reserving a spot at a bench with a view of the bikes while someone else in the group orders your snack of choice. The flip side of this is that the £10 you send in to cover your order often comes back complete with the comment of "I'll get these" :okay:

If you are travelling solo then it is more difficult and you may have to continue past unsuitable establishments.

si_c

Guru
I use a light cable lock to something secure.

leash34_480x480.png

13 rider

Guru
I use a knog lock with retractable cable fits in Jersey pocket . Admittedly its lightweight and therefore not the most secure but gives a bit of piece of mind and if other bikes are unlocked it more secure then them . Most of the cafes stop I use the bikes are in sight so I'm happy enough with using this lock . Only you can decide what's secure enough for where you stop as no lock is completely secure .
https://www.googleadservices.com/pa...11ISsx1F8hRqMKABKxoCZoQQAvD_BwE#/colour-white

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
The thread currently below this one (FFS) illustrates why you shouldn't trust cheap locks! I usually prefer The Skol Method (©2018), combined with going to out of the way places less frequented by thieving scrotes.

When I cycle to my local shops I ride a singlespeed bike that only cost me £80 to build (a small though still upsetting loss if it does get stolen) and I use a heavy duty lock to secure the bike right in front of the doors to a busy supermarket. I think it would take 1-2 minutes minimum with an angle grinder to cut the lock off and it would probably be too much for most bolt cutters. Anybody taking the risk to spend that much time stealing that bike from that location would have to be pretty stupid or desperate for their drug money!

OnGuard Brute u-lock.jpg

I would perhaps be willing to carry that on a rack when touring but I wouldn't want to lump it about in a rucksack and the bracket supplied with it for frame mounting was terrible.

zak3737

Über Member
Sorry chaps, didnt see it had been recently discussed at length.

Clearly a Bike Cafe Lock isnt going to stop a serious theft attempt, but merely an opportunist 'grab & go' offender, as I witnessed a couple of years back
in the blink of an eye.
The HipLok FLX looks good, with the light too, so might get one of those.

Mrklaw

Sorry for the bump but,would one of these be useful to secure a folding bike to a train luggage rack? I’d be sitting as close as I can but sometimes it’ll be behind me and i’d just want something to stop an opportunist from grabbing it as the train pulls into the station.

vickster

Legendary Member
Sorry for the bump but,would one of these be useful to secure a folding bike to a train luggage rack? I’d be sitting as close as I can but sometimes it’ll be behind me and i’d just want something to stop an opportunist from grabbing it as the train pulls into the station.
I'd personally use a decent cable lock or one of those folding bordo ones, not something that could potentially be pulled apart or cut with scissors

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah

If you sitting near the bike then yes a cable lock will be fine. It's what I used to do.

Top Bottom