Calais to Ghent

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Louisb19

Hi there,
In March I am embarking on a cycle ride from England to Brussels and back for charity.
On the first day in France I plan to head from Calais to Ghent, which is around 95 miles.
I am 19 years old, and although since living in London I haven't been able to properly cycle, I go to the gym 5 days a week and I'm physically fit. I have done relatively long cycle rides before, last year competing in the Dartmoor Classic (60km) after no training and finishing in 2hr14, however 95 miles is quite a bit more.
I know that I am physically capable, however I have never cycled in another country and I don't know the best route.
Do you think it is a good idea to do this in one day? I hoped to then cycle to Brussels from Ghent, meaning I could spend a day in Brussels, then back up to Bruges and back to Calais?
Thanks

alicat

Legendary Member
No, I don't. Your cycling muscles aren't developed and your bottom isn't hard enough to cope with an extra 100km in a day then the same for another 2 to 3 days.

You could do it in April or preferably May if you can find a way to get out on your bike and complete a training programme gradually building up the miles, hours in the saddle and back to back rides.

Good luck and welcome to the forum.

you may be better trying to plot a course inland and make use of shelter along the canals. plenty of hostelries along those routes from memory so food and drink will be close at hand.

are you camping or staying in b and b/hotels?

Hi there,
In March I am embarking on a cycle ride from England to Brussels and back for charity.
On the first day in France I plan to head from Calais to Ghent, which is around 95 miles.
I am 19 years old, and although since living in London I haven't been able to properly cycle, I go to the gym 5 days a week and I'm physically fit. I have done relatively long cycle rides before, last year competing in the Dartmoor Classic (60km) after no training and finishing in 2hr14, however 95 miles is quite a bit more.
I know that I am physically capable, however I have never cycled in another country and I don't know the best route.
Do you think it is a good idea to do this in one day? I hoped to then cycle to Brussels from Ghent, meaning I could spend a day in Brussels, then back up to Bruges and back to Calais?
Thanks

https://cycle.travel/ gives a route of 164 km for Calais to Ghent. I'm familiar with most of the route.
Can you do it in one day? Yes. Will it be enjoyable? Who knows? The issue is less with the one day, but the mileage the following days. That one long day (first day?) could be your downfall, although you won't see it until day 3. You're looking at 100 km+ Brussels to Brugge, then 120 km + to Calais after that. Most likely with a headwind.

When will you be doing this? Daylight might be a factor. Edit Sorry I missed March in the op. March can be cold, wet & windy. It can also be very pleasant. Expect changeable.
How much baggage are you bringing? More weight means slower.
What time do you arrive in Calais and in what condition?
If this is a charity run will you be blogging/ doing social media? - they will cut into your time and being exhausted won't help either.
What bike training will you have done in advance? While physical fitness may not be an issue for you, bike fitness may well be. Long days in an unfamiliar saddle could be very painful!

If you really want to know how far you can cycle, pack your bike with what you'll be bringing and get out there and see. In the meantime, cycle as much as you can.

Belgium is great cycling country with lots of places to stop for "refreshments"^_^. Personally, it seems a shame to be racing through. Rather than a rest day in Brussels, I'd prefer to cycle every day, but have shorter days.
I also wouldn't like doubling back between Brussels & Ghent on the way to Brugge or indeed most of the way back to Calais. (Calais - Brugge - Brussels - Ypres/Ieper - Calais would be a circular route)
I'd also look at my routing to avoid too long a day on the last day with a deadline (ferry) to catch. Or at least check out an alternative option such as a train in case of emergency.

I'll just add that cycling up the coast from Calais is easy, as the prevailing wind will be very much behind you. Cycling from Bruges to Calais, on the other hand, will be a bottom-gear Strugglefest of Misery as the wind tries to blow you towards Rotterdam.

That made me laugh out loud! ^_^

I once rode from Wimereux to Calais in 45 minutes, then spent 4 hours cycling back.
In bottom gear all the way.
Into a 30 knot wind.
I may have actually cried at one point.
I live in the Netherlands. I have experienced that pain! ^_^
Mind you, my worst headwind experience was in Spain. Having struggled up a big mountain, I had to pedal most of the way down until I hit some cover. It just felt so unfair! There were tears that day - but I'm blaming the wind in my eyes^_^

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Mind you, my worst headwind experience was in Spain. Having struggled up a big mountain, I had to pedal most of the way down until I hit some cover. It just felt so unfair! There were tears that day - but I'm blaming the wind in my eyes^_^

We did a similar thing in Portugal once. Our mountain had a headwind, but it also had cobbles.
I mean, WT actual F?

OP
OP
L

Louisb19

I'll just add that cycling up the coast from Calais is easy, as the prevailing wind will be very much behind you. Cycling from Bruges to Calais, on the other hand, will be a bottom-gear Strugglefest of Misery as the wind tries to blow you towards Rotterdam.
Is the wind always in this direction? If so I may return inland

OP
OP
L

Louisb19

you may be better trying to plot a course inland and make use of shelter along the canals. plenty of hostelries along those routes from memory so food and drink will be close at hand.

are you camping or staying in b and b/hotels?

Ok thank you! I think I may go up the coast on the way and return in land? And I plan to stay in hostels!

OP
OP
L

Louisb19

https://cycle.travel/ gives a route of 164 km for Calais to Ghent. I'm familiar with most of the route.
Can you do it in one day? Yes. Will it be enjoyable? Who knows? The issue is less with the one day, but the mileage the following days. That one long day (first day?) could be your downfall, although you won't see it until day 3. You're looking at 100 km+ Brussels to Brugge, then 120 km + to Calais after that. Most likely with a headwind.

When will you be doing this? Daylight might be a factor. Edit Sorry I missed March in the op. March can be cold, wet & windy. It can also be very pleasant. Expect changeable.
How much baggage are you bringing? More weight means slower.
What time do you arrive in Calais and in what condition?
If this is a charity run will you be blogging/ doing social media? - they will cut into your time and being exhausted won't help either.
What bike training will you have done in advance? While physical fitness may not be an issue for you, bike fitness may well be. Long days in an unfamiliar saddle could be very painful!

If you really want to know how far you can cycle, pack your bike with what you'll be bringing and get out there and see. In the meantime, cycle as much as you can.

Belgium is great cycling country with lots of places to stop for "refreshments"^_^. Personally, it seems a shame to be racing through. Rather than a rest day in Brussels, I'd prefer to cycle every day, but have shorter days.
I also wouldn't like doubling back between Brussels & Ghent on the way to Brugge or indeed most of the way back to Calais. (Calais - Brugge - Brussels - Ypres/Ieper - Calais would be a circular route)
I'd also look at my routing to avoid too long a day on the last day with a deadline (ferry) to catch. Or at least check out an alternative option such as a train in case of emergency.

OK, maybe I should edit the route slightly then? Possibly first day Calais to Brugge, second Brugge to Ghent, third Ghent to Brussels, and then return in land in 2 days?

I plan to bring only minimal baggage, and arrive in Calais in the afternoon, starting the ride to Belgium early the next morning. I will post social media updates but only once I have reached each destination so not much time taken up.
I have been cycling in the gym, albeit intensive sprint training because I can't afford the time to spend hours on the cycling machine in the gym, however when I'm back home in Devon I used to cycle quite a bit.

I agree! Note the bike I plan to use is my father's hybrid bike which I have used many times before.

I think you may be right, I might have to stretch it over a longer time period to enjoy each place I visit. Could you suggest an inland route back from Brussels which I may be able to complete in 2 days? And I will try to plan it so that I have time to spare.

Many thanks

Last edited:

johnblack

Über Member
Enjoy the ride, at least it's flat and the breeze should be at your back on the out run. Got to say that Ghent is one of the nicest places you'll ever go. You may just want to stop there and then and enjoy the place. If it had been the first weekend in April, I'd have bought you a beer

Top Bottom