Calais to Ghent

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OK, maybe I should edit the route slightly then? Possibly first day Calais to Brugge, second Brugge to Ghent, third Ghent to Brussels, and then return in land in 2 days?

I plan to bring only minimal baggage, and arrive in Calais in the afternoon, starting the ride to Belgium early the next morning. I will post social media updates but only once I have reached each destination so not much time taken up.
I have been cycling in the gym, albeit intensive sprint training because I can't afford the time to spend hours on the cycling machine in the gym, however when I'm back home in Devon I used to cycle quite a bit.

I agree! Note the bike I plan to use is my father's hybrid bike which I have used many times before.

I think you may be right, I might have to stretch it over a longer time period to enjoy each place I visit. Could you suggest an inland route back from Brussels which I may be able to complete in 2 days? And I will try to plan it so that I have time to spare.

Many thanks
Have you had a look at https://cycle.travel/ and played around with it?
Calais to Brugge is 120 km That's a good distance if you're travelling light.
Brugge to Ghent is only 45 km Gives lots of time to relax and sightsee.
Ghent to Brussels is 65 km Again, easy enough and gives time for exploring Brussels.

Brussels to Calais via Ieper/Ypres is about 230 km. That;s doable over 2 days and it's possible to avoid cycling any of the way you have already covered.
https://cycle.travel/map/journey/88939

The area around Ieper/Ypres is full of WW1 history if that's your thing and worth spending time in.

If I was you I'd be spending as much time as possible on a bike, preferably the one you'll use. It's less about fitness and more about being comfortable. There's a difference between going cycling regularly and riding for up to 8 hours day after day.

Have you thought about navigation? I mean how will you follow whatever route you choose? Do you have a gps device? Phone? or maps? I have the OSMand app downloaded on my phone as an emergency back-up for navigation. It shows you where you are, will direct you to your destination (offline). Alternatively, you can download the gpx file from cycle.travel and follow it on Osmand. A bit clunky, but good. Your first 5 maps are free so that will cover France & Belgium.

Check the hostels you plan on using will have secure parking for your bike, especially in Brussels.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
If you can do 60km of Dartmore in 2hrs 14, cycling from Calais to Ghent is a piece of pisch.
Go up the coast to Dunkirk, hang a right and follow the canals to Brugges and then onto Ghent.
I’ve done Ghent to Dunkirk ferry and it’s easy-peasy-lemon-squeezy.

Brains

Legendary Member
It's all about the wind!
Like many others I have experienced the pain that is the 5 mph slog into the wind along the North French coast.
(Some of my team ended up walking as it was just as fast and used less effort)

Download the Windy app on your phone
https://www.windy.com/

OP
OP
L

Louisb19

Thank you all! Also one more question: My Boardman Pro hybrid has flat pedals, what shoes would you suggest me using?

Whatever you a
Thank you all! Also one more question: My Boardman Pro hybrid has flat pedals, what shoes would you suggest me using?
Whatever you are used to using! I wouldn't be starting to use clipless before heading off on a tour. Some people fall over a lot when starting to use them!
I only use flats and have cycled in all kinds of footwear. I prefer sandals (but not in winter!:smile:)

mmmmartin

Random geezer
+1 for the Dunkirk ferry, which removes lots of tedious riding in France. From Dunkirk it's a fairly short and extremely flat little into Belgium where you can pick up the canalside roads that are away from the coast and the wind. Or if the wind is behind you, hammer up the coast to Ostend with the wind behind you, then turn right and follow the canal into Bruges them Ghent.

Brains

Legendary Member
If you look on this forum there is a map of how to get out of Dunkirk ferry port on a bike

OP
OP
L

Louisb19

Hello all, I am 1 week away from embarking on this ride! I have now split it over 5 days, so 1st day is Calais to Brugge, 2nd to Ghent, 3rd to Brussels and then possibly stopping at Ypres on the return journey although now I am not sure where the best place to break up the return journey is!

Brains

Legendary Member
If you are going to Ypres, then the time you want to be there at 8pm

Go and see the Last Post Ceremony at the Menin Gate, it takes place at 8pm every night, as it has done for the last 100 years or so.
Defiantly an experience that every person should do at least once in their life.
(You may want to arrive 30 mins earlier as it can get crowded)

Sometimes you get visiting orchestras, singers or choirs doing their bit, which can be very moving.

Last edited:
If you are going to Ypres, then the time you want to be there at 8pm

Go and see the Last Post Ceremony at the Menin Gate, it takes place at 8pm every night, as it has done for the last 100 years or so.
Defiantly an experience that every person should do at least once in their life.
(You may want to arrive 30 mins earlier as it can get crowded)

Sometimes you get visiting orchestras, singers or choirs doing their bit, which can be very moving.

This.

Handy hint if you're on the bike, get there early & cross through the gate over the river. Less people, better view. And chat to the locals.

Just a headsup on the weather.
It has been very stormy here in southern NL the past few days and a quick check on my weatherapp tells me that rain, cold temps and high winds are the forecast next week/end. Prepare accordingly!

Top Bottom