Calais to Ghent

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Just a headsup on the weather.
It has been very stormy here in southern NL the past few days and a quick check on my weatherapp tells me that rain, cold temps and high winds are the forecast next week/end. Prepare accordingly!

I'll back this up, a couple of our guys are installing in a town just outside Brussels and mentioned how windy/stormy it is so take care

OP
OP
L

Louisb19

Thank you for the help everyone, much appreciated!! One last question; what app do you use for navigation? I have planned everything on Komoot, but I'm not sure if it's the best for phone navigation? If it is, should I plan via 'bike tour' or 'road biking'? Thanks

OP
OP
L

Louisb19

Just a headsup on the weather.
It has been very stormy here in southern NL the past few days and a quick check on my weatherapp tells me that rain, cold temps and high winds are the forecast next week/end. Prepare accordingly!
I'll back this up, a couple of our guys are installing in a town just outside Brussels and mentioned how windy/stormy it is so take care
Thank you, I will prepare!! Hopefully the wind will be with me up the coast, otherwise...well.

OP
OP
L

Louisb19

Just been on windy.com, and it seems every day the wind adjusts perfectly to my route! Lets hope it stays that way!!

Just been on windy.com, and it seems every day the wind adjusts perfectly to my route! Lets hope it stays that way!!

I admire your optimism! ^_^

Now, you'd better come back when your adventure is over and give us all an update and your experiences. It'll help the next person.

Good luck!

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
OP
OP
L

Louisb19

I admire your optimism! ^_^

Now, you'd better come back when your adventure is over and give us all an update and your experiences. It'll help the next person.

Good luck!
Will do, thank you! I'll be the first to admit I'm underprepared - been stuck inside doing university work the past 2 weeks, but can't wait to get out there on the roads!

Will do, thank you! I'll be the first to admit I'm under prepared - been stuck inside doing university work the past 2 weeks, but can't wait to get out there on the roads!

I know it's your first tour so I don't want to downplay it, but Belgium is one of the great places for touring on a bike! Great facilities and great food and beer! They're not huge distances you're covering and the destinations are pretty great! Less time worrying about being unprepared, more time anticipating all that fresh air (lots!) you're going to be enjoying.

As for navigation, all the way to Brussels should be well signposted. Brussels to Ypres (Ieper) may be more difficult. But by then you'll know what you're doing:okay:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
As for navigation, all the way to Brussels should be well signposted. Brussels to Ypres (Ieper) may be more difficult. But by then you'll know what you're doing:okay:
Search this site for knooppunt for details of the junction/node number navigation system used in Flanders, the Netherlands and increasingly Wallonia (where they are "points-noeuds"). Cycling by numbers is possible!

There are also LF routes and other similar routes signposted with hexagonal signs in Flanders which are similar to the UK's Sustrans NCN/RR network. Southern/Eastern Belgium also has RAVeL and RV routes signed differently but I don't think you'll see many of those, except maybe RV1 out of Brussels but that's basically the canalside and easy to follow.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Going to do this route at the end of April with a mate, Three day trip. First we are driving to Dover, Ferry across to Calais, Ride to Ghent stopping in Bruges for lunch, arrive in Ghent about 6pm, spend the 2 nights in Ghent, Then ride back the following day. This is going to be a reccy ride as there is going to be a group of us going later in the year. Be interesting to hear your report Louisb19
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/29499469

Last edited:
Top Bottom