Calderdale Mountain Bike Marathon

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cubby

Über Member
Did this event last year for the first time, and will be doing it this year too .... It was my first ever mountain bike event and really enjoyed it, dont have any GPX files of the ride, but there are some decent climbs, but there are some good decents too .....

Definatly worth doing .... my time last year was 3 hour 30 mins so i have some thing to aim for this year ... :smile:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I think it is a bit daft them not giving out the details of the route until you enter for the event! What are they frightened of - perhaps people might actually go and ride the route without paying? They can do that any time if they feel so inclined, or if they really want to be cheapskates, just hang about at the start and follow the other riders! 

I'm sure that more people would enter if a detailed description of the route was available on the CMBM website.

OP
OP
Rammylad

Rammylad

Your right Colin. I notice that there is a high percentage of retired riders + a goodly amount of 'non-starters'. Most folk like to know what they are getting into ~ it's called preparation :rolleyes:

I think it is a bit daft them not giving out the details of the route until you enter for the event! What are they frightened of - perhaps people might actually go and ride the route without paying? They can do that any time if they feel so inclined, or if they really want to be cheapskates, just hang about at the start and follow the other riders!

I'm sure that more people would enter if a detailed description of the route was available on the CMBM website.

Sorry, we have always published a basic outline of the route on the website figuring that riders could work it out for themselves as there are few bridleways connecting those points. The route is waymarked and marshalled and we did not think that a detailed account of each twist and turn was necessary. We also run the Calderdale Hike (www.calderdalehike.org.uk) and again just give a list of checkpoints on these routes.

Until recently there was no easy medium that we could share the details; if you go to the CMBM website (www.cmbm.org.uk) now you will find a link to the route on Ordnance Survey's Get a Map website, as well as files suitable for tracklogs, garmin, gps exchange and map tech.

ColinJ

Sorry, we have always published a basic outline of the route on the website figuring that riders could work it out for themselves as there are few bridleways connecting those points. The route is waymarked and marshalled and we did not think that a detailed account of each twist and turn was necessary. We also run the Calderdale Hike (www.calderdalehike.org.uk) and again just give a list of checkpoints on these routes.

Until recently there was no easy medium that we could share the details; if you go to the CMBM website (www.cmbm.org.uk) now you will find a link to the route on Ordnance Survey's Get a Map website, as well as files suitable for tracklogs, garmin, gps exchange and map tech.
That's better! :thumbsup:

Globalti

Legendary Member
Hmmmm... I fancy another crack at that. Did it many years ago on the MTB but I wonder if they allow cross bikes?

ColinJ

Hmmmm... I fancy another crack at that. Did it many years ago on the MTB but I wonder if they allow cross bikes?
There is nothing in the event rules about bikes. They do say that helmets are compulsory though!

Let's face it - there is nothing that organisers can actually do to enforce the rules since the events are run over public roads and bridleways which they can't stop you from riding. All they can do is to make you feel unwelcome, not allow you to use the feed stations and not give you tee-shirts, medals, goody-bags at the finish etc.

I'm not suggesting breaking the rules though, or 'freeloading' - if anybody wants to take part in an event then they should pay the entry fee and obey the rules. If they don't want to do that, they can always ride the route at another time.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I was a fledgling mountain biker last time I did it so I'm curious to know how well I would do with some roadie fitness in my legs.

Cubist

Still wavin'
Looks like a good one. Good amount of climbing there. Reckon I'll make one in this year.

Forgot to say: top bit of thread mining there Malcolm, but all for a good purpose!

Top Bottom