Calling all fettlers.... Dishwashers & bike bits

Using the dishwasher to clean bike components is...

• Disgusting and utterly unacceptable

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • Disgustiing but now you've mentioned it I like the idea

Votes: 6 28.6%
  • Something I am ambivalent about

• Sensible and I'll be doing it in future

• Sensible and I do it all the time

• a poor second to an untlrasonic cleaner

Votes: 7 33.3%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I don't have a workshop. Well I do but it doubles as a back garden. My thing is fixing up old 90's mountain bikes and putting them back into use. Sometimes components from someone's old shed bike need a thorough cleaning before you can work out if it is a case of re-use or replace. I scrub em uo first and them pop them in the dishwasher.

What say the assembled CC-ers?

Gary E

Veteran
Ultrasonic every time. Place the component in a bag of Trichloroethane and float it in the Ultrasonic tank, comes up like new.
I have a big one at work I can use and a small one at home that I bought from eBay (that's just about big enough for a cassette) :thumbsup:

OP
OP
GrumpyGregry

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
You should have a choice for 'use the dishwasher for components but only when the wife is out'
The lovely Helen doesn't mind so long as

I scrub/degrease stuff a fair bit first
I don't run the dishwasher without a full load of washing up in it just so I can clean a few components.

Right, now to go back to swearing at a stuck GXP bottom bracket.

Tim Hall

I think I've dishwashered. I've certainly boiled components in a saucepan with a bit of washing up liquid. For real hardcore, look for zigzag's thread about getting a stuck tap out of a dropout.

Night Train

Maker of Things
This is where the Land Rover fettlers have it right.

Buy a used commercial stainless steel dishwasher from a restaurant or hotel clearance sale/auction. Site in suitable fettling location next to an oil drum half full of degreaser. Plumb the two together to recirculate the degreaser and then wash all parts in that dishwasher. A filter can be added between the washer outflow and the oil drum to catch grit and loose ball bearings that have escaped. :thumbsup:

classic33

Leg End Member
This is where the Land Rover fettlers have it right.

Buy a used commercial stainless steel dishwasher from a restaurant or hotel clearance sale/auction. Site in suitable fettling location next to an oil drum half full of degreaser. Plumb the two together to recirculate the degreaser and then wash all parts in that dishwasher. A filter can be added between the washer outflow and the oil drum to catch grit and loose ball bearings that have escaped. :thumbsup:
I can see only one problem with this suggestion. I've used degreasing liquids/solutions that would melt any plastic they came into contact with.

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
1. Buy a 750 gram jar of pasta sauce.
2. Eat the pasta sauce.
3. Rinse out the jar.
4. Put a few inches of white spirit in the jar.
5. Put the chain, derailleur etc. etc. in the jar.
6. Screw the lid on and swish it.
7 Job done.

Top Bottom