Calling all fettlers.... Dishwashers & bike bits

Using the dishwasher to clean bike components is...

• Disgusting and utterly unacceptable

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • Disgustiing but now you've mentioned it I like the idea

Votes: 6 28.6%
  • Something I am ambivalent about

• Sensible and I'll be doing it in future

• Sensible and I do it all the time

• a poor second to an untlrasonic cleaner

Votes: 7 33.3%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Ultrasonic every time. Place the component in a bag of Trichloroethane and float it in the Ultrasonic tank, comes up like new.
I have a big one at work I can use and a small one at home that I bought from eBay (that's just about big enough for a cassette) :thumbsup:
I can't get hold of Trike any more but I have a supply of IPA and Jizer. My US tank has never been used with either solvent. I have always wondered if they would catch fire in the tank due to cavitation. Any clues?

Gary E

Veteran
Don't fill the Ultrasonic bath with the solvent, Fill it with water as usual and then put the bit you want to clean in a plastic bag with the solvent. Float the bag in the water (like you see them do in pet shops when you buy fish).
The sonic waves are transmitted through the water, the bag and the solvent and act on the component. There's no heat involved so you won't be reaching the flash point of your solvent. If in doubt use washing up liquid, it's a good degreaser, not as good as Trike but just give it longer and if your component is really dirty change it part way through :smile:

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Don't fill the Ultrasonic bath with the solvent, Fill it with water as usual and then put the bit you want to clean in a plastic bag with the solvent. Float the bag in the water (like you see them do in pet shops when you buy fish).
The sonic waves are transmitted through the water, the bag and the solvent and act on the component. There's no heat involved so you won't be reaching the flash point of your solvent. If in doubt use washing up liquid, it's a good degreaser, not as good as Trike but just give it longer and if your component is really dirty change it part way through :smile:
Great advice Gary! My tank is full of pcb flux cleaner for cleaning circuit boards. If I had a really good plastic bag, I could float the Jizer and the cassette on it.! Maybe a condom for small parts....:wacko:
Thank-you.

Globalti

Legendary Member
All very well in theory but anybody who has really washed an aluminium component in a dishwasher will know that the extremely alkaline and hot washing solution attacks the surface, meaning that your once-shiny component comes out dull and pitted. Guess how I know this?

Booyaa

Veteran
All very well in theory but anybody who has really washed an aluminium component in a dishwasher will know that the extremely alkaline and hot washing solution attacks the surface, meaning that your once-shiny component comes out dull and pitted. Guess how I know this?
I can confirm that this is true.

lozcs

Guru
Ultrasonic every time. Place the component in a bag of Trichloroethane and float it in the Ultrasonic tank, comes up like new.
I have a big one at work I can use and a small one at home that I bought from eBay (that's just about big enough for a cassette) :thumbsup:

just youtubed those - wow - want!

chewy

1. Buy a 750 gram jar of pasta sauce.
2. Eat the pasta sauce.
3. Rinse out the jar.
4. Put a few inches of white spirit in the jar.
5. Put the chain, derailleur etc. etc. in the jar.
6. Screw the lid on and swish it.
7 Job done.

sometimes the old ways........

Top Bottom