Calling all model kit fans - she's finally done

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
captain nemo1701

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
You all should have seen the decals with the Enterprise kit.

First, I applied the 'Aztec decals' which create the hull plating look although die-hard modellers have masked the kit to paint it two different shades of white!. And I thought the decals were fiddly. Some of the transfers were hard to get on to the ship, especially the warp engines!.

Then I set to work on the marking decals ie USS Enterprise etc. Boy, some of them were tiny and needed a magnifying glass and precision tweezers. I made the mistake of letting the kit sit in my drawer for two years and I reckon decals age and become brittle. I tried applying the 'USS Enterprise' arrowhead decals, on the lower hull and you get four in the kit, two for the NCC1701 and two for the NCC1701A as the kit can be made for both ships. Unfortunately, one of them disintegrated when I put it in the bowl of water...aaaargh!. I had to cut some decals into sections and very carefully apply them with a solution called Decalfix, available from good hobby shops. It softens the decals and then dries so they stick better than using just water.

I'm glad the kit is finished since the decals took about 75% of the time to fit.

subaqua

What’s the point
Oh dear...

I reckon it's going to work OK. I have a booth made from a large cardboard box and it's going to be a water based paint to start. And will be done in the utility room.

What I am looking for is castor oil based inks to use for airbrush tattoos as wifey and daughter want some , but nowhere seems to stock them anymore.

sanddancer

If you use a small airbrush you can achieve pretty good results. It is also economical, paintwise as you only need a small amount of paint . By dusting a light coat of paint on you can replicate dirty weathered effect.

What sort of airbrush do you use and any tips on paint mixing and application please ?

I have a airbrush somewhere that runs off an innertube. Never used it and not sure if it is any good :smile:
I also have quite a few kits of ww1 and ww2 planes I would like to get round to building :smile:

What sort of airbrushop o you use and any tips on paint mixing and application please ?

I have a airbrush somewhere that runs off an innertube. Never used it and not sure if it is any good :smile:
I also have quite a few kits of ww1 and ww2 planes I would like to get round to building :smile:

I have got 2 Badger airbrushes, one of which is dual action. Machine Mart do a similar cheap set. I found running off a spare tyre is better as you can build up pressure, although it will drop off. I use a compressor. I have found that the little Humbrol tins thinned with white spirit work well and dry quickly.
Very light coats seem to work best as it is easy to get runs. I am not keen on acrylics as they tend to be harder to clean out and block the airbrush.

sanddancer

I have got 2 Badger airbrushes, one of which is dual action. Machine Mart do a similar cheap set. I found running off a spare tyre is better as you can build up pressure, although it will drop off. I use a compressor. I have found that the little Humbrol tins thinned with white spirit work well and dry quickly.
Very light coats seem to work best as it is easy to get runs. I am not keen on acrylics as they tend to be harder to clean out and block the airbrush.

Thanks ;)
I'm not sure what type of paint I have but I imagine they are solid by now :biggrin:
I will have to dig the airbrush out and have a practice run with any usable paint :smile:
Just remembered I have about 5 airfix car kits too :smile:

classic33

Leg End Member
I reckon it's going to work OK. I have a booth made from a large cardboard box and it's going to be a water based paint to start. And will be done in the utility room.

What I am looking for is castor oil based inks to use for airbrush tattoos as wifey and daughter want some , but nowhere seems to stock them anymore.
Have you tried the Range?

I bought a pair of kits on the bay a few years ago and got chatting to the seller and he sent me a couple of CD's full of books on military modelling, vehicles and aircraft.

classic33

Leg End Member
No link, local one had the local college students sent their way.
I'll check & get back to let you know.

I have used aerosol ready made car spray cans as base layer paint with success on several models to cover large areas quickly. Black on the Challenger,white on a model of Concorde, and grey on a Vulcan. You have to be careful though and test it on a sample of plastic first before you destroy your model.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
You all should have seen the decals with the Enterprise kit.

First, I applied the 'Aztec decals' which create the hull plating look although die-hard modellers have masked the kit to paint it two different shades of white!. And I thought the decals were fiddly. Some of the transfers were hard to get on to the ship, especially the warp engines!.

Then I set to work on the marking decals ie USS Enterprise etc. Boy, some of them were tiny and needed a magnifying glass and precision tweezers. I made the mistake of letting the kit sit in my drawer for two years and I reckon decals age and become brittle. I tried applying the 'USS Enterprise' arrowhead decals, on the lower hull and you get four in the kit, two for the NCC1701 and two for the NCC1701A as the kit can be made for both ships. Unfortunately, one of them disintegrated when I put it in the bowl of water...aaaargh!. I had to cut some decals into sections and very carefully apply them with a solution called Decalfix, available from good hobby shops. It softens the decals and then dries so they stick better than using just water.

I'm glad the kit is finished since the decals took about 75% of the time to fit.
I made NCC1701D and took to handpainting every detail apart from lettering. Got three quarters of the way through when my girlfriend said I had to choose between playing with toys and sex...

Top Bottom