Calling all model kit fans - she's finally done

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
captain nemo1701

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.

Attachments

• 1701.jpg
    1701.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 48
OP
OP
captain nemo1701

captain nemo1701

Ooops...did it again. Pressed 'buy' online. Now building this baby along with the Proteus. Well, got to fill my new shiny shelf space!. Big kit - the tape is 1m.

seaview.jpg

OP
OP
captain nemo1701

captain nemo1701

Out of all the model kits i made as a kid, I don't think i managed to not get a splodge of glue on one of the windows... good luck!
I will be using some special modelling glue for around the windows, which come in one piece that fits the frame from behind. This special glue is totally transparent when set and is specifically for transparent pieces. I know what you mean though!.

OP
OP
captain nemo1701

captain nemo1701

There's allegedly, an amusing story about a small 2-inch version that was made. It was used in the 'whirlpool' scene (apparently done with red jelly & water!). When the shot was finished, the miniature was left by an open window to dry in the sun and was nicked by a bird!. As far as I know, the large 42ft mock up was repainted and was intended to play the part of a rescue sub in The Poseidon Adventure (1972) but the idea was dropped and it got trashed shortly afterwards.

Irwin Allen, famous in Hollywood for being Mr Cheap, actually used some of the internal body sets for an episode of Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea where the Seaview's diving bell is swallowed by a giant whale. For the scene where they drug the whale and enter it, they filmed these scenes overnight on the Fantastic Voyage set which was in the next door studio. At least 20th Century Fox got their money's worth!.

There are some interesting behind the scenes shots online:

FV.jpg

OP
OP
captain nemo1701

captain nemo1701

Primed the Seaview this weekend and it's a big kit (tape is 1m). Looking forward to having this on the lounge shelf. it comes with a small diving bell, minisub and a tiny version of the flying sub although a bigger version is available (on the shopping list). Much of the kit detail is the interior bridge, so i may get the lighting kit for this one (it has grooves in-built for wiring).

IMG_2808.JPG

Those of us who recall the show, this is the 'TV version' with four windows. I'd like to get the original 'movie version' with 8 windows as featured in the original cinema film. It's made by the same model firm but appears to be discontinued?.

tamiya

well you've definitely got the correct brand of model finishing supplies :hugs:

The yellow tape is good stuff but have you only just bought the refills?
IMHO the plastic dispensers are real handy to keep the tape edge clean & straight, otherwise stuck-on fluff makes a mess & dented edges will lift when spraying. Even oil from fingers from handling the naked rolls can hurt adhesiveness.

I get thru miles of the 6mm :thumbsup:

classic33

Leg End Member

IMHO the plastic dispensers are real handy to keep the tape edge clean & straight, otherwise stuck-on fluff makes a mess & dented edges will lift when spraying. Even oil from fingers from handling the naked rolls can hurt adhesiveness.

Revell & Humbrol!!

OP
OP
captain nemo1701

captain nemo1701

I tend to get the refills. Did have a dispenser once but it got lost!. Got through two cans of light grey primer on this kit. I'm just trying to decide which greys to do the hull. Instructions say camouflage grey for upper hull, light ghost grey for the lower half. However, some shots of the filming miniature (restored & in private collection) make it look almost a dark blue-grey. I'm going to have to do some research on this one.

You can build one of two versions: the 8ft version, used for underwater shots, different number of missile hatches on top or the whopping 17ft version, with more missile hatches. This miniature was used in surface shots only, towed across an artificial lake on the rear lot of 20th century fox.

IMG_2809.JPG

On the surface:

seaview5.png

Restored miniature:

26252567339_fb9c5c4cb6_o.jpg

Top Bottom