Calling all roadies.....what pedals are you using?

Which pedals are you using on your road bike?

• SPD SL

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Speedplays

• Crank Bros

• Time or Look

• Other

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stevenb

I currently use Ultegra SPD SL pedals....I find them a little fiddly especially when pulling away at junctions where I have to engage quickly. They hang naturally at an upright angle....so I thought that for my new bike I'd like some double sided pedals.
Speedplay ones seem good.

What are you using?
What are they like to use?
Are any special cleats/adaptors required?

Cheers all

Steve

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Basic old style Looks (246's??), they work fine, hang just like your Ultegra, but I manage to get it right most of the time!

mondobongo

Über Member
I have 105 spd's know what you mean about the pedal hanging down, I have got a lot faster at engaging the other pedal found it a real faff and unnerving originally as was used to Crank Brothers on my MTB. Have also worked hard on my track stand so dont have to unclip at all.

Speedplay have had some good reviews but not reccomended if you have to walk further than a couple of yards.

Just ordinary SPD's and Taho's but then I only converted recently. Still they do the job, can't see a reason yet why I would need others.

gavintc

Guru
I had the older Ultegra and then found that once the little plastic plate had worn out, the pedal was prety useless. Admittedly, they came with a spare set, but after 18 months usage, I needed new pedals. So, I bought Look Keo. I love them - the bit I like the most is the ability to put a cleat cover over the cleat. You can walk normally in them. I commute by train / cycle and the cleat covers are ideal for walking around the station etc.

bonj2

shimano SPD M540s. Can't be arsed with constantly flip them over all the time, too much of a faff by half. That and not being able to walk in the shoes, and having to have different shoes for my mtb as for my road bike.

yenrod

As an original MTB'er I used SPD's - but then a good friend made me an offer on some Time Equipes, he described them as 'aircraft carriers' and I had them, off him...as I just got more out of 'the road.

Been on TIME ever since and would not ride anything else.

I have thought of riding the road variant of Eggbeaters but TIME..are just outstanding for what is needed for your morphological/skeletal - body !

I find over a beeg ride you can start off with your feet in one position but on the way back they totally change and incrementally on the ride too, so the sideways AND angular movement works extremely well together.

You are only doing yourself an dis-service if you DONT ride Time.

They're easy to get into..seem to be at tthe correct angle 75% of the time upon starting..and you can feel the click though this depends on the shoe you have the cleat bolted to - so sometimes they engage but go too far and position into the pedal as though they'll release.

Either way, for what they offer, they're great.

BTW: STEVEB - you should not have put Look & Time together they are totally different systems of pedal.

Top Bottom