Calling crafters and makers: Simple projects...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'm looking for simple craft projects to do with clients, in wood, metal, paper, leather, beads and wire, air drying clay... you name it. I'll have up to 15 clients, all adults. I can't supervise everyone all the time, but stages which need supervision are fine.

Something like this is ideal because it requires minimal tools and materials but means people can take something home with them:

Metal Man Pencil Holder : 6 Steps (with Pictures) - Instructables

Alternatively something papery like this:

Glossy Paper Beads : 13 Steps (with Pictures) - Instructables

Any suggestions welcome...

Punkawallah

Über Member
Plaster cast statues or similar?

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Collage, if some have artistic leanings?
More longer term, if you can get your clients and/or their families to collect bottle caps, plastic or metal, they can be stuck to card or to each other, to make a specific shape, or a collage. Pinterest has image ideas.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Personalised pet things - e.g. wooden strip customised with the name of the hound and some rustic metal hooks attached, for hanging up dog leads and the like.

Add in a special birthday themed picture frame and have the client supply the photo of their beloved 4 legged friend.

Last edited:

icowden

Veteran
Any suggestions welcome...

Découpage is easy but takes a little while and has a result that you can usually take home as long as you leave some drying time.
You just need lots of bits of interesting paper, some pva and something to cover.

If you can get the raw materials (washers, nuts, bolts, wingnuts and a keyring) a nuts and bolts man keyring is fun. My kids did it at guides.

Again, if you can get the tools and components, then things like belt making can be relatively simple.

chriswoody

Legendary Member
Would you be happy for your clients to do some whittling? these mushrooms are a great little project that I've done a number of times:

1629716447847.png

There are some instructions here:

https://richardirvine.co.uk/2014/12/mushrooms/

He has also written a fantastic book full of straight forward, easy to achieve projects out of wood.

https://richardirvine.co.uk/forest-craft-book/

Not sure if this is a little tricky and too advanced, but I have a pdf of steps to build a twig chair. I've not written these instructions they were copied from the internet.

Screenshot 2021-08-23 at 13.10.34.png

I've a number of other wood projects and I'll have a ponder and post some more up if they're suitable.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Picture frames?

small clip frames are a cheap way to get the glass and backing board... then make frames from card, decorated in some way; beads, glitter, twigs, leaves, etc. ...or wood of course. But I'd advise simple butted corners unless they're half handy with wood; 8 perfect mitres isn't that easy and if they're not perfect they look sh!t.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
I've a book that shows how to fold paper in different ways to make little books. Some have holes cut in so you look through one page to the one behind. It suggests writing or drawing on some of the pages. I can dig out the details if you thought it would be of any use.

I've a book that shows how to fold paper in different ways to make little books. Some have holes cut in so you look through one page to the one behind. It suggests writing or drawing on some of the pages. I can dig out the details if you thought it would be of any use.

Certainly sounds interesting: could you let me know the title and author?

Picture frames?

small clip frames are a cheap way to get the glass and backing board... then make frames from card, decorated in some way; beads, glitter, twigs, leaves, etc. ...or wood of course. But I'd advise simple butted corners unless they're half handy with wood; 8 perfect mitres isn't that easy and if they're not perfect they look sh!t.

Hadn't thought of that, but we get lots of frames so it would be a fairly easy activity, thanks...

Dreamcatchers maybe. Good way of using old bangles or embroidery hoops, and old beads. Feathers can be easily picked up from various sources.

If you can get loads of shells and pebbles, then decorated plant pots.

What about macrame? You can make all sorts of stuff from knotted string.

Felt or paper flowers.

Mobiles with origami danglies.

Top Bottom