Calling dog owners.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SteveF

He's not quite got the hang of the flying ring...

DSC_0199.JPG

Levo-Lon

Guru
My GSD couldn't destroy these and he could burst a football (leather un) in seconds. DAMHIKT but the Sunday League lads were very pi$$ed off.

View attachment 486380

My Border Terrier loved them.
She would shake it like a loon... Ankles got a good thrashing.. As did anything in range.

Kongs are good as said.

Mile195

Veteran
My dog has toys and they've all lasted years. These days, during the summer he picks them up, takes them outside, then immediately drops them and walks away leaving them to the foxes. In the winter they stay on the lounge floor as he prefers to spend the time sleeping or licking himself!..

However, when we first got him at 18 months old, he would chew a bit, and we found the "Nylabone" things seemed to last best. They claim to help keep teeth clean too. How true that is I don't know though.

keithmac

Guru
Be careful with the rope toys, our Lab had one and it got smallet and smaller as she chewed it.

We binned it in the end but a month later she threw up what looked like a dead rat!, it was all the rope..

She'd been eating and pooing fine and happy as always so nothing to say anything was wrong.

Skanker

Be careful with the rope toys, our Lab had one and it got smallet and smaller as she chewed it.

We binned it in the end but a month later she threw up what looked like a dead rat!, it was all the rope..

She'd been eating and pooing fine and happy as always so nothing to say anything was wrong.
I’m surprised it didn’t digest it. Dogs stomachs are pretty hardcore and can digest bone and all sorts.
Maybe the little bits of rope sit like fur-balls and don’t go down properly?

keithmac

Guru
I’m surprised it didn’t digest it. Dogs stomachs are pretty hardcore and can digest bone and all sorts.
Maybe the little bits of rope sit like fur-balls and don’t go down properly?

Our Lab is raw fed and eats raw bones now and again without any issue.

As Raleighnut said it may have been synthetic rope but it wasn't cheap..

My wife genuinely thought she'd eaten a rat and thrown it back up at first, lovely!.

We've got these from Pets At Home now and they're pretty hard wearing.
20190928_081704.jpg

Saluki

World class procrastinator
View attachment 486386 We have a Whippet, all of their spare time is spent sleeping. Toys last forever.

Smooth coat Saluki here (Dad was 1/4 greyhound and 3/4 saluki, Mum a pure smoothie hence his colouring). Toys last forever. His favourite toy is a rope with a tennis ball on. He has 2 black kongs and we fill them with treats, seal with a smear of quark or yoghurt, then freeze. When I go to work, he has a kongcicle to ease the parting.
He is genuinely gentle with toys. If he finds a loo roll or box of tissues, it’s another story. I have come home to a snow scene quite a few times.

Skanker

Synthetic fibres are a different story, plastic doesn’t break down well at all.
I get Serrano ham bones for Mya, she has 2 a day and eats them like slices of toast. I’m quite jealous as my teeth are not even capable of getting through crusty rolls anymore!
The Akita is a little more suited to eating bones, etc than most breeds though, huge neck, massive jaw and cast iron stomach, built purely for hunting and scavenging large prey in the mountains of Japan. She is the original hunting style Akita Inu, not the cute fluffy show dog type, and definitely no Hachiko!

Greyhound here, and it all depends if she can be arsed to get off the sofa, or indeed open one eye. (Two eyes would be pushing her exercise levels and is usually reserved for her daily 5 minute amble, weather permitting of course. )
15696619177026071607074804235423.jpg

She does have snuggle pillar though.

Last edited:

Lee_M

Guru
My wife's a sucker for buying toys for Bruce (see profile pic) they don't last anytime at all, but they both get enjoyment.

Tried a kong and he's not interested. He has a black kong bone to put treats in, but he's bitten through that too

I've seen some cheap ones made of synthetic fibres.
Synthetic or organic, there's no way a dog's stomach will break down those fibres. They can dissolve bone because of the alkaline/acid relationship of the two inside the stomach, but cellulose and lignin is not digestible by dogs. If ever you've had to pull strands of grass from your dog's arse, that should convince you.

Rope is dangerous for dogs. Period.

Top Bottom