calorie counts on GPS....how accurate can they be??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
My garmin wasn't far out after a ride. The next day I did the same ride, similar weather conditions, with the doc's HRM and tracker do-dah on. There was about 40 calories difference. I do keep my weight up to date with the Garmin, both on the website and on the device itself. It's not like I use the calorie infomation for anything. I don't decide to eat back the caloried burned.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
That is to say they should be reproducible, the same/similar rides should give you the same/similar values but as to whether they give you a good value of the calories burned - probably not. So they're useful for comparing rides but not necessarily useful as input into an eating plan for a calorie controlled diet.
"

A bit like my excercise bike (that I use over winter).............I know its not accurate but its good for comparing rides.

Based on that then my Garmin would be reasonably accurate...........33 miles x, say 35 = 1155
I link Strava to a H.R.M. ( when I remember), and link Strava to Myfitnesspal. That gives you an estimated weight at a given point in time, based on your daily / weekly calorie use. Thus far ( a good couple of years) it's always been very close.

Top Bottom