Calorie Restriction Diet

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Zofo

Veteran
I was very intrigued and gave it a go -for a week. The problem was for me that I was SO hungry at night that I couldn't sleep-probably got around 3 hours max.Not good.

jazzkat

Fixed wheel fanatic.
Ok, thought I'd do an update.
It's been three weeks now, two days of fasting a week usually Tuesday and Thursday combines with my usual cycling routine -three hard 15 mile rides and a longer 50ish mile at the weekend. Eating normally the rest of the week.
Riding has not been affected at all, did the last 10mile tt of the season last night and was only 20secs off my pb (it was a windy night and I drew with or beat guys that normally beat me). The reason may be that I've lost weight. Not sure exactly how much, but I reckon about a kilo taking me to about 79kgs. I had to buy some new trousers and I have just bought a pair with a 32inch waist, I can't ever remember being so slim!
I find it easy enough to do, but will be easier when I get back to work. I don't see this as being a 'diet' more an alteration to my eating habits. I'm not sure how I'll alter things when I've lost my excess weight, I'd find it harder to eat more on my normal days, but I'll cross that particular bridge when I come to it.

Jazzcat, I'm four weeks in now, each fast being 30-36hrs and I am also going as good as I can remember on the bike Like you I don't consider it a diet, it's just the way I'm going to operate from now on. I find it such an easy adjustment. Im beginning to look forward to it.

OP
OP
The Jogger

The Jogger

Legendary Member
Jazzcat, I'm four weeks in now, each fast being 30-36hrs and I am also going as good as I can remember on the buke Like you I don't consider it a diet, it's just the way I'm going to operate from now on. I find it such an easy adjustment. Im beginning to look forward to it.

Have you lost any weight with it SC

Yes. I had been stuck at around 10st 10lb, but now that's probably the heaviest I go. After the last fast I was 10-3 but I then increase to around 10-7. Don't think I will go any lower.

carolonabike

I've done two weeks now of the 5/2 and I'm finding it pretty easy. I think because I know if there's something I really want to eat I can have it the next day I don't have any sense of deprivation. After a bit of experimentation I've found it suits me to have a normal breakfast, a light lunch then nothing for the remainder of the day. I tried missing lunch but found I was so hungry by 4 o'clock that the temptation to hit the biscuit barrel at work was too much, plus I was worried it might leave me low for the ride home. Although I wasn't particularly aiming to lose weight I have lost a couple of pounds.
The only problem I can forsee is the temptation to overindulge on the normal days.

Sca1ey

Me and Mrs M have been doing the 5/2 Normal/Reduced calorie days and it's been fine mostly - had a caffeine bonk on the first day, but other than that ok. I've been saving my breakfast til lunch and then having fish & veg for tea. I like the fact that unlike a 'diet' you can look forward to eating normally tomorrow so easy to motivate yourself.

jazzkat

Fixed wheel fanatic.
Quick update, if anyone is interested! Just over 1/2 stone lighter and flying up the hills :smile:
Now I'm back at work in many ways it's easier as my mind is on other things. The only thing I'm struggling with is keeping hydrated. I'd been drinking green and fruit teas to cut out the milk, but I'm beginning to hate them, lol. I think I'm going to accept the milk in my tea as part of my calories and make sure I drink plenty of water through the day.
My wife was initially very sceptical, but now she's trying it too!

carolonabike

Well done Jazzkat, you must be pleased.
I had a week off in September when I went on holiday but apart from that I've been doing 2 low calorie days a week. I have a normal breakfast and a light lunch then skip my evening meal, (I may have a piece of cheese if I'm really hungry). It's easy to do and I've lost about 4 lbs. It hasn't affected my excercise routine either.
Another positive is that I've also reduced my alcohol intake, since I'm often tempted to have a glass of wine with my evening meal. If I'm not eating then I don't drink either.

jazzkat

Fixed wheel fanatic.
Thanks for the comments.
It's not a full fast, but its pretty close. I'm doing it on Tuesday and Thursdays. I've been having a cup of green tea for breakfast, then nothing to eat until about 5ish (although drinking, obviously) where I may have half a large carrot. Then later maybe 7/8ish I'll have the other half or maybe a salad sandwich (just a load of green stuff between two pieces of bread!) although lately I've been having a few rice cakes too. So I'm well under the 500ish calories. Some Thursdays I may skip the sandwich as I have a commitment on Thursday eve, that stops me feeling hungry.
My wife is really struggling with a full fast and has bought some weight watchers bread to make toast for brekkie and a sandwich for lunch.
I'm pretty good with the booze these days and can easily go without, although that has not been the case in my past! When I stopped drinking in the week, I immediately lost weight. It's amazing how many useless calories are in booze. The downside is I'm a complete lightweight now, I had four cans of cheap lager at the weekend and felt bladdered!!

I went out with some friends for a 50 mile blast on Saturday. A couple of them are quick on a bike and one of them made a comment about how well I was going up the hills, so I am very pleased with myself. I hope to lose another 1/2 stone, but I don't want to lose any more than that, I may have to take up boozing in the week again lol ;)

OP
OP
The Jogger

The Jogger

Legendary Member
I'm going to start this, this week. I Googled it and there is a long three came up ( mumsnet of all places) with some great results and the more I read on the health benefits the more I want to do it. I think I will start it on a rest day.

OP
OP
The Jogger

The Jogger

Legendary Member
Right, thta's it, I've started today. The last time I ate anything was 21:30 last night, just green tea today and maybe something later upto 600 cals. So far, so good.......

Right, thta's it, I've started today. The last time I ate anything was 21:30 last night, just green tea today and maybe something later upto 600 cals. So far, so good.......

Hi TJ. I be being doing this for more than two month and have only missed it once as the weather was great and I was doing extra miles. It's really easy and I feel it's more about mindset. I would recommend you go for zero calories. It focuses your mind and the break fast is brilliant. I've been doing 30-36 hour stints and my only failing was when I tried to 'peel' a roast chicken for taking to work the next day. I was 24hrs into the fast and it was too much for me. I liked my fingers then succumbed to temptation. I now know my limits :-)

Top Bottom