Calorie Restriction Diet

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

scouserinlondon

I have decided to give this a go. I did 36hrs from tues tea time to thurs breaksfast. I chose 0 calories partially to see if I could do it partially to see how it affected my cycling. I commute 20 miles every day but I took it very easy (with the exception of one Strava Segement) It sounds to me to be very interesting. For this month I am choosing a Wednesday and I'm going to do Breakfast-Breakfast. As for this week I have had no adverse reactions and everything seems very positive.

Please can you post updates on this thread? I have one stone to lose and really like the look of this plan as it just seems to make a lot of sense to me. I don't know if I'd have the will power to do it to be honest so would be interested in how others fare.

In preparation I'm wondering what's possible in terms of calorie numbers and commuting by bike. I'm going to try one or two 800 calorie days per week and see how it goes, and then work down to 500. I'm a miserable bastard when I'm hungry so don't want to inflict that on everybody!

pkeenan

Über Member
Please can you post updates on this thread? I have one stone to lose and really like the look of this plan as it just seems to make a lot of sense to me. I don't know if I'd have the will power to do it to be honest so would be interested in how others fare.

Maybe I didn't understand the program, but I was under the impression that the goal of this was a generally healthier life, but with a view to increasing life expectancy? In other words, decreasing the risk of conditions and illnesses that come with age.

Weightloss was certainly an effect of it, for the guy presenting. Though I don't think the purpose of this 'plan' was as a solution to losing weight?

I might have a go at this. 24hr fasts are not actually that difficult (I do one for charity and two for religious reasons every year). Fasting 2 days a week would probably take some getting used to, but it's nice to actually have some decent research into the subject (even if it is mainly on mice)

Calorie restriction increasing mouse life expectancy is very well documented - however it might have something to do with the fact that most lab mice are sedentary and fed food ad libitum. It's essentially the same as taking chocolate and takeaways away from a fat slob that sits down all day! Also mice are pretty indestructable so studies in them have to be taken cautiously until they have been repeated in less robust species like dogs (and people!).

On an evolutionary basis though humans are designed to handle days of plenty and days of fasting so this approach makes sense (haven't seen the program but might hit Pubmed later).

scouserinlondon

Maybe I didn't understand the program, but I was under the impression that the goal of this was a generally healthier life, but with a view to increasing life expectancy? In other words, decreasing the risk of conditions and illnesses that come with age.

Weightloss was certainly an effect of it, for the guy presenting. Though I don't think the purpose of this 'plan' was as a solution to losing weight?

That was my understanding of the programme too, that the regular fasting or limited calorie days' main health benefit was increased organ health, but that an excellent side effect is pretty decent weight loss. I suppose that the programme really resonated with me for quite a few reasons.

Firstly it just made sense from a logic point of view; unfettered access to high calorie foods is such a modern first-world notion that surely it doesn't make sense from an evolutionary point of view. Also I liked the thrust of the programme as it completey flies in the face of the modern industry that's built up around weight loss. No special programmes or cutting out one food group in favour of another; simply have a couple of days with minimal calorie intake and eat a sensible diet the rest sorts itself out.

I'd be interested to hear from anybody on here who tries it in combination with working and bike commuting/weekend riding in terms of how they manage to functionn at work and whether or not they bonk on a short bike ride. If I pluck up the courage to do it after my summer holidays I'll post here too.

lulubel

Über Member
On an evolutionary basis though humans are designed to handle days of plenty and days of fasting so this approach makes sense (haven't seen the program but might hit Pubmed later).

But, on an evolutionary basis, humans evolved to live long enough to reproduce and raise their young to the point where they could survive on their own. That's all evolution requires - the continuation of the genetic line. It doesn't mean they were long-lived or healthy.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I watched it on iPlayer last night. I thought it was interesting and the idea of building up tissue in times of plenty, and repairing them in times of scarcity makes sense. I might have a go at the 2 reduced calorie days a week. I eat loads of fruit and veg so on those 'fasting' days it would just be a case of skipping the accompanying baked potatoes, pitta breads (whatever).

But, on an evolutionary basis, humans evolved to live long enough to reproduce and raise their young to the point where they could survive on their own. That's all evolution requires - the continuation of the genetic line. It doesn't mean they were long-lived or healthy.
True, but during that time they ate in hunter gatherer fashion for a lot longer than we've been eating plentiful amounts of farmed and processed food on a daily basis so that it what we will have evolved to cope with, who know's in a few million years time we might have evolved to be resistant to type 2 diabetes and heart disease and thus adapted to a modern diet

lulubel

Über Member
True, but during that time they ate in hunter gatherer fashion for a lot longer than we've been eating plentiful amounts of farmed and processed food on a daily basis so that it what we will have evolved to cope with, who know's in a few million years time we might have evolved to be resistant to type 2 diabetes and heart disease and thus adapted to a modern diet

My point was that just because our ancient ancestors survived on that kind of diet for long enough to reproduce doesn't mean it will keep us (with our much longer life expectancy) healthy into old age. Thanks to modern medicine and our ability to prevent famine (at least for those of us in the west - I think you probably meant western diet since the majority of the worlds' population doesn't gorge itself the way people in the west do) members of the human species have changed massively in just the last few hundred years and evolution has had no chance of keeping up. Diet and nutrition plans that assume the dietary needs of the modern, western human are the same as our ancient hunter-gatherer ancestors seem to me to be either hopelessly naive or just intended to bring financial benefits to their creators.

jazzkat

Fixed wheel fanatic.
I'm giving it a go. I cycled my usual 15m route on Sunday after coming back from my hols last week. I decided to fast on Monday, I made it to tea time on Monday without eating anything. For tea I had three slices of grilled haloumi cheese on a salad - so way under the 500calories mentioned on tv. I expected to feel ravenous when I got up this morning but I didn't at all. In fact I felt less hungry than normal! I did my usual ride with no probs at all. I'm going to do the club ten tomorrow and then fast again on Thursday. I'm not at work at the moment, but to be honest it will be easier to be at work and I'll be too busy to think about food! I too would be interested at what other people find.

bof

Senior member. Oi! Less of the senior please
Had a partial go following watching the program, Monday and yesterday. Up until the evening I only consumed a bit less than the roughly 600 calories in the middle of the day recommended - actually a bit less. In the evening (and this is where it was partial) I ate veg, plain low fat yoghurt and some self-made smoked mackerel pate that contained virtually no carbs.One point made in the programme is that you need to not each too much protein either and this is something I did not apply attention to.

Monday I went to the gym after work and did mainly weights, only cardio for warmup.Yesterday I cycled to work which is only 10K but has a big climb and felt OK, and cycled home a 25k scenic route with quite a lot of climbing and started feeling close to bonking by the end. The limited food I had restored me.

While I felt hungry at times it came and went in waves - as the programme presenter found.

Broke my fast this morning and plan on eating normally the other five days. My conclusion I can go a couple of days on around 1000 cals/day for two with my normal exercise levels and then eat normally the rest of the week. To exist on less without feeling lousy I think would have to cut back on the exercise.

I lost a couple of stone on a Weightwatchers diet between September and February, but eventually I had enough of the continuous cutting back to around 1600Cals + exercise points per day and got bored of recording what I ate and stopped, This 2/7 fasting may be an effective way of losing the final 8kg I want to shed at around 400-500gm per week and I will give it a longer term go: I will have to watch I don't eat more than I should on the non-fast days.

Jambon

i've read up on this, i've followed a daily fast program so have been fasting 18-21 hours per day and then eating in the remaining time, i.e Eat dinner on Sunday at 7pm then eat some fruit at 3/4 on Monday then dinner at 7. I've done that every weekday for two weeks now along with my 24 mile commute and Kettlebells on Mondays. First week was hard and come the Thursday i was really tired on the bike, but once you get used to it it's fine. TBH i just think of it as eating when i'm hungry, i think there's a difference between actual hunger and psychological hunger, it's just breaking the habit. I lost 3lbs after the first week and i'm yet to weigh in this week. I feel good and have found my exercise mostly fine.

Will keep you updated with progress.

jazzkat

Fixed wheel fanatic.
i've read up on this, i've followed a daily fast program so have been fasting 18-21 hours per day and then eating in the remaining time, i.e Eat dinner on Sunday at 7pm then eat some fruit at 3/4 on Monday then dinner at 7. I've done that every weekday for two weeks now along with my 24 mile commute and Kettlebells on Mondays. First week was hard and come the Thursday i was really tired on the bike, but once you get used to it it's fine. TBH i just think of it as eating when i'm hungry, i think there's a difference between actual hunger and psychological hunger, it's just breaking the habit. I lost 3lbs after the first week and i'm yet to weigh in this week. I feel good and have found my exercise mostly fine.

Will keep you updated with progress.
That sounds like quite a big calorie drop a week, well it would be for me lol!
I know what you mean about the psychological hunger. I keep thinking "it must be about dinner time", not because I'm hungry, but because its that time.

Did another 30+ hours with zero calories. The way the hours fell it included 3 10mile commutes. No doubting performance decrease on third but this is working in well with me trying to calm down occasionally on the bike and enjoy just spinning. This will combine to give niggles a chance to heal. Had slightly larger breakfast this morn. (15g extra Bran, wow!) resumed eating normally now as if fast hadn't happened. Feel completely fine and my weight is down by about 5lb from two weeks ago but I did more miles than usual at weekend. This looks like it's going to fit in nicely with my lifestyle.

jazzkat

Fixed wheel fanatic.
. This looks like it's going to fit in nicely with my lifestyle.
That's good to hear. I've just got back from a 12 mile ride (todays my fast day....no, as in not eating ^_^). I tried to keep it an easy spin, but you know how it is! Anyway, no probs on the ride, but a bit peckish now. I reckon I'm probably a little dehydrated so I'll have a nice big drink of water :cheers:

carolonabike

We watched this last night and I found it very interesting. As soon as they mentioned the possibility of decreasing the risk of dementia nad Alheimer's I was sold. So, I'm going to give it a try.
I reckon it'll be much easier to do it on a work day, so this morning I had my breakfast as normal, muesli, strawberries and orange juice and I've just had an apple (350 calories so far or thereabouts). I'm going to have another apple later then a light supper tonight, salad probably. I've cycled in to work and I'm hungry now, my stomach is rumbling but I'm going to try really hard to avoid hitting the biscuit tin ^_^. The challenge for me will be when I get home tonight. I agree about the psychological hunger, we tend to base our days around mealtimes (I do anyway) so I need to find something to distract me. To this end I have brought some knitting to work :laugh:.
I don't need to lose any weight but a couple of pounds would be a bonus.

Updates would be good.

Top Bottom