Calories burnt when cycling

• Thread starter Deleted member 41544
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 41544

This has probably been done quite a lot but lets see again. Today I did just under an hour on the road 17.5 miles in 57:39 with 654ft of climbing. Average speed of 18.2mph. Map my ride has this as 1200 calories. That cannot be true can it?

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Map my ride has this as 1200 calories. That cannot be true can it?

My guess would be that it's more likely to be 800-900 calories. But that is a complete guess.

Ignore the calories. You've done an hour of fairly brisk exercise, which you can be pleased with.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 41544

My guess would be that it's more likely to be 800-900 calories. But that is a complete guess.

Ignore the calories. You've done an hour of fairly brisk exercise, which you can be pleased with.

Trying to lose some fat but not too much weight, simply exercising and eating wasn't really working so was just looking at calories burnt and that seemed a lot

barongreenback

Über Member
If you're looking to lose weight then use something like MyFitnessPal to log everything. Chances are you're eating more than you think. Losing weight purely through exercise is tough. You're best off fuelling properly for your exercise and altering your diet off the bike.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 41544

maybe because i'm short I have to try harder, but i am 12 and half stone too so the bike is loaded enough

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 41544

Nope still far too much. Maybe if you were 20+ stone and doing v hilly terrain

If you want to lose a belly, diet is the way to go (and genetics)

That was a joke.....

I'm talking about going from seeing some abs if i catch the mirror in the right light to definitely seeing abs no matter what light

vickster

Legendary Member
Probably need to hit the gym. Cycling won't do it unfortunately. And cut out cake stops (no fun at all)

Vegan1

That was a joke.....

I'm talking about going from seeing some abs if i catch the mirror in the right light to definitely seeing abs no matter what light

Contrary to what has been said you don't need to go to the gym to get your six pack. Total burn I would put at around the 1000 cal given your effort and climbing. If you are looking to lose fat though I would focus more on slightly longer rides at a reduced intensity to burn purely fat. Off the bike look to some basic core work, stretches etc. Youtube for what the pro teams do off the bike. And do not diet, change what you eat rather than eating less. Fruits and grains are the fuel out on the bike.

Tin Pot

Guru
This has probably been done quite a lot but lets see again. Today I did just under an hour on the road 17.5 miles in 57:39 with 654ft of climbing. Average speed of 18.2mph. Map my ride has this as 1200 calories. That cannot be true can it?

Calories in/out is a false paradigm and false mathematics, and MFP is a false god.

Eat healthily, don't add food because some website tells you you've burned x calories.

Don't take food or 'sports' drinks on your rides.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 41544

I do weights twice a week and ride about 3 days. I've done the calorie counting and gym and macro nutrient measuring before and it's tedious and boring, I just wanted to know if on a cycling day I should have been eating a lot more but a normal days food should do it about 2000 calories - the 600 or so from riding leaves a good enough deficit to lose fat

Jody

Stubborn git
Depends on height/weight obviously but My fitness pal reckons 1500 calories every day for me to loose 1lb a week without excersize. I'm also fairly short and approching 12 stone so I know the feeling well.

2000 calories is ample and no need for extra fuel if you are only riding for an hour.

Top Bottom