Calories burnt when cycling

• Thread starter Deleted member 41544
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

reacher

Contrary to what has been said you don't need to go to the gym to get your six pack. Total burn I would put at around the 1000 cal given your effort and climbing. If you are looking to lose fat though I would focus more on slightly longer rides at a reduced intensity to burn purely fat. Off the bike look to some basic core work, stretches etc. Youtube for what the pro teams do off the bike. And do not diet, change what you eat rather than eating less. Fruits and grains are the fuel out on the bike.

Course you do, for a start to have these muscles showing you first have to train to get some, their not lurking behind all that fat just waiting to be put on show. Training abs is hard work and without a dedicated training programe specifically aimed at developing them and a very strict diet to cut body fat you have zero chance, age will help as you get older abdominal fat accumulates even on quite slim people, younger people will find it easier to get them to show. That's after training to get some of course riding a bike and stretching won't do it.

Vegan1

Course you do, for a start to have these muscles showing you first have to train to get some, their not lurking behind all that fat just waiting to be put on show. Training abs is hard work and without a dedicated training programe specifically aimed at developing them and a very strict diet to cut body fat you have zero chance, age will help as you get older abdominal fat accumulates even on quite slim people, younger people will find it easier to get them to show. That's after training to get some of course riding a bike and stretching won't do it.

I've pretty much got a six pack and the last time I done any sort of specific ab work (e.g crunches) was years ago, stretching, calisthenics, simple exercises that will work and improve your core will at the same time help with your cycling. A plant based diet with only essential fat means no gut fat.

reacher

I've pretty much got a six pack and the last time I done any sort of specific ab work (e.g crunches) was years ago, stretching, calisthenics, simple exercises that will work and improve your core will at the same time help with your cycling. A plant based diet with only essential fat means no gut fat.

Your idea of a six pack and that of a person training specifically to develop his physique may well be two differant things, for a start their muscles, muscle does not develop without resistance training of some type to any great degree, no muscle will do that.

Vegan1

Your idea of a six pack and that of a person training specifically to develop his physique may well be two differant things, for a start their muscles, muscle does not develop without resistance training of some type to any great degree, no muscle will do that.

And to develop your abs you don't need to do any abs specific exercises. Basic core work will do.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Calories in/out is a false paradigm and false mathematics, and MFP is a false god.

Eat healthily, don't add food because some website tells you you've burned x calories.

Don't take food or 'sports' drinks on your rides.

No food, ever?

Even if I've had a large breakfast I still find I'm getting hungry after 3 hard hours on the bike so I need something.

To lose weight what I find I have to avoid is the munchies after the ride and the day after that. It's very tempting to "treat" yourself if you've done a tough ride

reacher

And to develop your abs you don't need to do any abs specific exercises. Basic core work will do.

And this core work that develops these abs to such a degree that when you take off your shirt you get the sort of look that says i'm impressed, is what exactly ?
You are aware of what percentage body fat is required to display said acquired six pack is required as well

screenman

Legendary Member
No food, ever?

Even if I've had a large breakfast I still find I'm getting hungry after 3 hard hours on the bike so I need something.

To lose weight what I find I have to avoid is the munchies after the ride and the day after that. It's very tempting to "treat" yourself if you've done a tough ride

Do you need it or want it? I used to think I needed breakfast, now when I want to knock a few lb off I do not eat into at least 3pm and then something small like a little cold porridge. I am up at 5 am and either swim 2k or 90 minutes in the gym in those days, and I feel better for going without.

Vegan1

And this core work that develops these abs to such a degree that when you take off your shirt you get the sort of look that says i'm impressed, is what exactly ?
You are aware of what percentage body fat is required to display said acquired six pack is required as well

Basic calenthestics - no gym needed.

As for body fat, anything less than 10% and you are there, which on a plant based diet with only essential fats is perfectly doable.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Do you need it or want it? I used to think I needed breakfast, now when I want to knock a few lb off I do not eat into at least 3pm and then something small like a little cold porridge. I am up at 5 am and either swim 2k or 90 minutes in the gym in those days, and I feel better for going without.

Dunno. Received wisdom is that for longer rides it is advisable to eat before and during the ride but different people have different physiologies I guess

I certainly couldn't manage a hard, hilly 50 mile ride on an empty stomach and nothing to eat during. I think if you do longer rides in the hope of controlling weight, what you have to avoid is stuffing your face when you've finished. It's quite difficult to eat too much during the ride itself

Top Bottom