Calories, fitness and knees

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jody

Stubborn git
I need help with a few questions which I will try and roll together as one thread. My aim is to lose 3 stone (25% of my weight) by the summer through exercise and watching my calorie intake/portion size. Not dieting but just making sure I don’t over eat like before and cutting back on sugar etc

I have been out of the saddle for over a decade and am slowly building back up. At the moment this consists of doing about 20 miles off road on Sunday with a friend (which will be increased with time) and also looking at riding to work 2-4 times a week. The commute to work is only 10 miles round but the climb home is 600+ft. Ideally want to cover 100-120 miles a month minimum.

1. Say for example my calorie intake a day should be 1800 and I do a ride that burns 700 leaving me net 1100. Do I need to consume more say another 300 or more to cover some of what I have used.

2. My legs are a bit weak Sunday afternoon and Monday. Should I wait for them to stop aching before I saddle up again?

3. What is the quickest way (for the unfit) to increase stamina? Should I be doing sprints, hill climbs or just more time riding.

The last question I have is about knees. My right knee has a dull ache when I put the pressure on the crank. It comes from under the cap directly at the top. Is this something I should be concerned with as I don't want it to get worse. I am not using SPD’s at the moment only flats.

Any advice welcome.

Roadrider48

Voice of the people
If you eat normally and ride more you will get fit and lose weight without even trying.
Your knee/s could be the bike fit in some way. Saddle height etc.

Venod

Eh up
Don't know what your knee pain is, but I echo roadrier48's advice eat normally and ride more, but I would also add to assist weight loss and maybe help your knee problems make sure you keep up a high cadence.

OP
OP
Jody

Jody

Stubborn git
Don't know what your knee pain is, but I echo roadrier48's advice eat normally and ride more, but I would also add to assist weight loss and maybe help your knee problems make sure you keep up a high cadence.

Yes, I was wondering if I had been pushing too hard a gear.

The calorie question came from my other half's comment, that just because you have burnt calories during exercise doesn't mean you can eat more.

jay clock

Massive member
re the calories, the general line is to eat back the calories you burn. So if you think your base metabolic rate (i.e. the amount you use each day doing your normal life without adding "exercise" on) is say 2100, and you aim to reduce to 1600, you have a deficit of 500. Many people argue (and others disagree) that 1 pound of fat needs 3500 cals to burn off, so if you create a deficit of 500 you lose a pound per week (7 x 500). Many also agree that if you get excessive about this deficit, the body fights back and holds onto to what it can.

So using that example, if you do a ride using 1600 cals, then you have a net intake of zero. Not good.

Personally as a very fit and active person trying to lose weight I eat back around half to 3/4 of the burnt calories. My feeling is that many of the online tools overestimate the cals burned. Just a guess.

Stu Plows

Coming soon: Bonking on a hill near you!
I support the comment re: losing 25% being interesting, although it isn’t going to stop me trying something close. I’m 6’2” and currently at 101kgs, lost 5kgs since new year, all with a better diet, no drinking and lots of turbo training when I can’t get out. My aim is to get to 85kgs, not hopeful as I love a takeaway but I’ll try my hardest.

Hop on your bike and get the miles in, that’s your stamina training.

Protein can assist also with recovery, so your lean meats. But again, as you increase your exercise, the quicker you will recover. Make sure you get a good nights sleep too, good helper for recovery.

Knee could be a range of things, saddle height, saddle location. Check these first, then, go and see a doctor about it.

OP
OP
Jody

Jody

Stubborn git
So using that example, if you do a ride using 1600 cals, then you have a net intake of zero. Not good.

^ This is my point. I am not going to stuff my face as I want to loose weight but you must surely have to cover some of the calories burnt.

I support the comment re: losing 25% being interesting,

Make sure you get a good nights sleep too, good helper for recovery.

I should be around 9-9.5 stone and I am currently 12.4. Should be fairly trim if I hit 9.5.

Decent nights sleep and 6 month old baby don't go hand in hand :laugh:

Broadside

Guru
I would echo what others have said about knee trouble coming from potential bike fit and pushing too hard a gear/low cadence.

Also be aware that this can come from insufficient post ride stretching, particularly the quads which may subtly pull the knee out of alignment causing pain. very easily resolved with some decent deep slow stretching and a bit of massage, if you have a foam roller then this would definitely be a good time to use it.

KierenT

Regular
SPD's are making a huge difference to my legs - I'm much more balanced on the saddle and my knee's aren't flexing in the 'wrong' direction; I've got bolts through both, and ligament damage means they're not as stable as the average kneecap. No pain whatsoever.

ayceejay

Guru
Carrying a baby for nine months and retaining some of that weight for another six will play havoc with knees, amongst other things.It would be wise I think to add some flexibility exercise and extra work on the muscles that support the knees. I would aim at a general increase in fitness before pushing for a 25% weight loss program.

OP
OP
Jody

Jody

Stubborn git
Also be aware that this can come from insufficient post ride stretching, particularly the quads which may subtly pull the knee out of alignment causing pain.

I must confess that I never do stretches *runs and hides* unless I end up with cramp. I suppose I ought to start. Do you have any links or know what I should be concentrating on stretching?

Top Bottom