camapg xenon wheel interaction

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
So I've managed to wreck on campag xenon in the space of a month, and now I am working on another!

Trying a different route on the way home last night I came a across a stonker of a hill. Didn't know how steep it was until I tried it! So I changed into the largest cog using my xenon. At this point I hear lots of clunking. It was very dark, so after some fiddling with my lights I managed to see what it was.

The hanger was hitting the spokes as the wheel went around! Is it possible that it is just the limiters that were set wrong (it was on the cog, although it is possible that the alignment is out) or does this mean my hanger might be bent!?

I'll have a look at it when I have the chance.

PatrickPending

Legendary Member
most likely the limiters unless the rear mech could have been bent due to accident damage

MartinC

Über Member
Guess you mean the inner jockey cage plate is catching the spokes (the hanger is the thing the mech bolts onto).

First thing - fix it! if the mech catches in the spokes it can wreck any combination of mech, hanger and wheel.

Could be:
- the limit screws are set wrong and allowing the mech to move to far over
- spokes are loose and bowing out under compression
- the hanger is bent
- the mech (cage plate) is bent.

Campag cassettes are wider than Shimano ones and are often closer to the spokes especially on a non Campag wheel that will take either an S or C compatible freewheel.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

MartinC said:
Guess you mean the inner jockey cage plate is catching the spokes (the hanger is the thing the mech bolts onto).

First thing - fix it! if the mech catches in the spokes it can wreck any combination of mech, hanger and wheel.

Could be:
- the limit screws are set wrong and allowing the mech to move to far over
- spokes are loose and bowing out under compression
- the hanger is bent
- the mech (cage plate) is bent.

Campag cassettes are wider than Shimano ones and are often closer to the spokes especially on a non Campag wheel that will take either an S or C compatible freewheel.

Aye, I'll be having a look at it tonight (I'm not on the bike today).

Yes I meant the jockey cage, sorry! ;)

I've got a Fulcrum racing 7 wheels, so you could have hit the nail on the head there. It was happening when I was off the bike as well as on i, so I don't think it is a compression issue. Most likely the limiting screw needs adjusted as both yourself and Patrick have suggested.

Thanks guys.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Ummm, errr...:biggrin:

I didn't managed to look at the mech last night (3 week old baby keeps you busy!). So I had a quick look this morning before setting out, hoping to adjust the limiter before I went.

Ooops. It's not the limiter. The mech seems to be at a slightly funny angle. I've managed to bend something, less than a week after getting it installed! Is this thing made from cheese!?:biggrin:

I was caught out in the wrong gear for a large hill (about 15%) and I did grind a bit at the start, but surely a mech should cope with that!

I needed the bike this morning so I cycled in taking care not to use the lower gears. I'll have a picture shortly in the hope that someone can suggest what is bent and how to fix it (if it can be fixed). I really need the lower gears for the journey home!:smile:

OP
OP
M

magnatom

It was fitted by my local bike shop. Sorry, I'm not an expert, but as far as I am aware it should be fitted fine.

Looking at it myself, I do wonder if the hanger is bent, as it doesn't look seated right. I assume that is an LBS job. :laugh:

I must have more power in my legs than I thought!

Well it doesn't look to be fitted correctly - take a look at this video at the 1 min mark and you will see that the rear mech simply threads into the hanger whereas your seems to be clamped on. This is throwing the rear mech inwards and off at an angle.

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umKMVjLhmE4

A bit more info - just dug out a mirage rear mech and the threaded metal stopper you have on the inside of the hanger(nearest the cassette) should be on the outside if that makes sense.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Pete,

Sorry I'm not quite following you (my fault, I'm sure!)

I have attached another image that might help.

The metal stopper (if I understand you correctly (looks like a washer with a knobbly bit on it?) is on the outside of the hanger and not on the cassette side. If I loosen the derailleur it comes away with it.

Right - with you now. It looks ok from that!

Looking at the first photo the hanger appears to be angled towards the cassette- can you tell if there is a reason for this?

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
A bent hanger could cause that. Has the bike fallen over on that side - before the new mech was fitted - clipless moment perhaps? Would have thought the lbs would have checked the alignment when they fitted the new mech. It is possible to straighten the hanger, but the advice is always to get a new one.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

I do think it is the hanger, although the bike hasn't had any falls.

Is it possible that being in the wrong gear (large cog front, large cog back) could have caused a problem. I'm still getting used to the gears on the bike (used to shimano) and on my new route I came across a hill that surprised me and I ended up in the bad gear combination! It was at this point when I tried to grind up in that combination that I noticed the clunking. Could I have bent the hanger doing this?

I'll get the bike to the LBS tomorrow. It'll be a careful ride home avoiding the lower gears. Oh well, it'll be a workout! :laugh:

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Just a thought....the LBS won't have a replacement hanger for the Ribble will they. Looks like I'll have to get one from Ribble. :laugh: I suppose they are easy to replace?

Best thing to do is take the mech off - the Jockey wheel cage should be perfectly at right angles to the thread where the mech screws into the hanger and there should be no play in the jockey wheel cage. If this is so then the mech is ok and hanger is either not seated correctly or it is bent

Top Bottom