Cambridge cyclists to face course or fine if they break law

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
A 'Cycling Discretionary Scheme' may be introduced in Cambridge for dangerous cyclists

Cyclists in Cambridge who flout the law could face the option of taking a ‘corrective’ course or be fined under a new scheme aimed at educating dangerous riders.

A ‘Cycling Discretionary Scheme’ would see those cyclists who get caught riding without lights at night, jumping red lights or riding on pavements faced with either completing an online course or be fined, reports the Cambridge News. This is in line with similar penalties faced by motorists.

Sergeant Ian Wood of Cambridge’s neighbourhood policing team said: “These diversionary schemes are focussed on educating road users, rather than being overly-punitive however, they are only offered under stringent circumstances.

“Similarly, as the system is now more automated we are able to highlight repeat offenders and hold them to account, in a bid to improve road safety across the city. Personally, I wholeheartedly welcome this scheme.”

Those taking the hour-long online course would pay a fee, rather than be fined.

“The main objective of this course will be to provide education, to change cycling behaviour and ultimately to reduce casualties on the road and to enable all road users to share the roads safely together,” said Finola Carey, Cambridgeshire police service’s casualty reduction officer.

No date has yet been set on when the course may be introduced.
What a great idea. Genuinely interested to understand how they plan to enforce this...or rather how they plan to identify and catch offenders...this always seems to be the weak link in this type of reform

subaqua

What’s the point
What a great idea. Genuinely interested to understand how they plan to enforce this...or rather how they plan to identify and catch offenders...this always seems to be the weak link in this type of reform

sort of ties in with the post about catching the " real killers" . when being observed the bad behaviour doesn't appear.

stick a cop car on a motorway bridge, unoccupied, and watch what happens to lane discipline speed etc. all changes for the better until past the eyes.

I feel sorry for the police in trying to make it work.

screenman

Legendary Member
The problem is that it almost certainly means fewer resources for people breaking the law and causing greater harm. I'm not saying breaking the law is socially acceptable - I'm saying let's have a crackdown on the killers rather than the nuisances.

Not really answering the question i asked.

screenman

Legendary Member
Do you think all harm is the same screenman?

Harm = physical injury, especially that which is deliberately inflicted. It is harm, there are of course different levels of pain or discomfort caused by being harmed.

I would like to see more attention paid to poor drivers, certainly I would. I would also like all criminals punished be they on a bike or car.

Now the question I asked, at what level is criminality acceptable.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Does that stop somebody asking a question? Seems the stupid bit is not being able to give an opinion.
And yet, the question you actually asked before was "At what point does breaking the law become socially acceptable? I presume only cyclists breaking the law will get punished, so what is the problem with that". I said it wasn't acceptable and told you the problem, but that didn't make you happy - are you arguing with voices in your head like @glenn forger claims?

screenman

Legendary Member
And yet, the question you actually asked before was "At what point does breaking the law become socially acceptable? I presume only cyclists breaking the law will get punished, so what is the problem with that". I said it wasn't acceptable and told you the problem, but that didn't make you happy - are you arguing with voices in your head like @glenn forger claims?

Well looking back you did say that, sorry I missed it.

So there is this police guy driving around looking for murdering motorist, when he comes across a cyclist breaking the law, does he ignore the offence and carry on looking for an offence not yet committed.

I am not sticking up for motorist or the police I am saying all criminals should be punished. Be they drivers of cyclists.

As for voices in my head, I find that totally insulting,I have taken it once quietly.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
So there is this police guy driving around looking for murdering motorist, when he comes across a cyclist breaking the law, does he ignore the offence and carry on looking for an offence not yet committed. ... As for voices in my head, I find that totally insulting,I have taken it once quietly.
Probably not ignore the cycling offender, as long as there's nothing more pressing (so no motorist has yet murdered), but the thing is, they should go out looking for the more harmful ones, not deliberately go out looking for the pests.

As for voices in your head, well, sorry for any offence, but others find it a bit insulting when you drag discussions out by apparently picking arguments with yourself...

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
The solution lies with the cyclists. Instead of moaning that car drivers and murderers do far worse - which they do, but its an irrelevance - they can all ride impeccably fora month, no courses allocated, and the dibble will have nothing to do. Moaning that car drivers, rapists and murderers are doing far worse -which they are - will change nothing, making it an observation of zero validity. The best way not to get busted is to behave, not a difficult concept to grasp.
That argument has been used against cyclists in various anti-cyclist countries for decades, and it's getting a bit tired. Nobody uses that argument on motorists, in fact people just accept that motorists can and will make mistakes. But the moment a cyclist does, everyone's up in arms about it. If cyclists did nothing wrong (not that I expect that to ever occur), then the anti-cyclist people would find something else about cyclists to direct their prejudices against.

screenman

Legendary Member
Probably not ignore the cycling offender, as long as there's nothing more pressing (so no motorist has yet murdered), but the thing is, they should go out looking for the more harmful ones, not deliberately go out looking for the pests.

As for voices in your head, well, sorry for any offence, but others find it a bit insulting when you drag discussions out by apparently picking arguments with yourself...

You apology is accepted, a good forum is one where not everybody thinks the same way, and one where people are not name called for being slightly different.

Top Bottom