Cambridge Plod... You are WRONG.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cab

Take a look at this news story:
http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/cn_news_home/DisplayArticle.asp?ID=384400

Now, you see Plod out there not infrequently, on many of those locations listed, targetting cyclists breaking the law. I won't refer to how few injuries this has caused or how infrequent accidents are, thats a given. Nor will I point out that all of them are extremely well lit and visibility is limited entirely by the curvature of the road, buildings, and traffic. None of that is relevant.

What I WILL point out is that the busiest street for Plod has yielded 123 fixed penalty notices in three years. And thats nothing. 40 per year or, as it really is, about 40 per crackdown. And thats a street which is slow (because it is invariably busy), well lit and, essentially, safe. The cyclists they're stopping will for the most part be going from one well lit city location (somewhere at the University) to another well lit city location (a college or student digs) via other well lit streets; this is akin to staking out a straight and quiet section of motorway and pouncing on the people doing 80mph. Technically reasonable, but generally a waste of Police resources.

Now, it also transpires that the biggest volume reported crime in the county is bike theft:

http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/cn_news_cambridge/displayarticle.asp?id=383503

Whats that? No, of course they're not prioritising that. Making cyclists behave is a priority, dealing with the largest volume reported crime here, bike theft, isn't.

I can only assume that we misbehaving cyclists deserve it.

Cambridgeshire Constabulary, you are wrong. Very simply, your annual crackdowns on cycling do not work, they do not improve safety or behavioural standards on the roads. You do not prioritise reported dangerous driving (even when handed footage showing it) when cyclists are endangered. You do not prioritise cycle theft.

What the smeg is wrong with you, Cambridgeshire plod? Are you thick or something?

MartinC

Über Member
Write to them and ask them to explain their policy - how they're addressing the most reported crimes. Asking them for the figures for the worst anti-social motoring street might be interesting too.

Ask for the number of parking tickets / speeding fines and motoring ofences on HIlls Road

Then compare the figures!

snorri

Legendary Member
No, they are not thick, the Chief Constable is just looking after his job.:laugh:
It would be interesting to know how many reports the police have received of lawbreaking cyclists, and how many reports of bike theft. I think you will find the police will say they have had more reports of the former, so feel they must put more emphasis on reducing "bike crime" rather than bike theft.
A reduction in "bike crime" reports would have a much more beneficial effect on police performance statistics than a reduction in bike theft.
Road user behaviour and safety has little to do with it, statistics are what matters when the Police Committee meet to review the annual performance of their local Chief Constable.
Cynical? Me:ohmy:??

wafflycat

Ah yes... Cambridgeshire Constabulary. My personal experience of them leaves me with the opinion that they are as effective and useful as a chocolate teapot. I am glad I no longer live in an area where they 'patrol'

MartinC

Über Member
snorri said:
No, they are not thick, the Chief Constable is just looking after his job.:biggrin:
It would be interesting to know how many reports the police have received of lawbreaking cyclists, and how many reports of bike theft. I think you will find the police will say they have had more reports of the former, so feel they must put more emphasis on reducing "bike crime" rather than bike theft.
A reduction in "bike crime" reports would have a much more beneficial effect on police performance statistics than a reduction in bike theft.
Road user behaviour and safety has little to do with it, statistics are what matters when the Police Committee meet to review the annual performance of their local Chief Constable.
Cynical? Me:ohmy:??

I appreciate what you're saying but I'd bet that Cambridge Police will still have had more reported bike thefts than pavement cycling etc.

MartinC said:
I appreciate what you're saying but I'd bet that Cambridge Police will still have had more reported bike thefts than pavement cycling etc.

They must have done - almost everyone who cycles in Cambridge has had a bike stolen - I don't think this is an exaggeration. I've certainly had a bike nicked, as well as petty vandalism like reflectors being snapped off. There was an article in the same paper (Cambridge News) the other day stating that 'London gangs' are coming to Cambridge specifically to steal bikes from newbie students - so it's not just casual theft they are ignoring, it's ORGANISED CRIME.

Vikeonabike

CC Neighbourhood Police Constable
Damned if we do, damned if we don't...it's a funny old job!

wafflycat

Morrisette said:
They must have done - almost everyone who cycles in Cambridge has had a bike stolen - I don't think this is an exaggeration. I've certainly had a bike nicked, as well as petty vandalism like reflectors being snapped off. There was an article in the same paper (Cambridge News) the other day stating that 'London gangs' are coming to Cambridge specifically to steal bikes from newbie students - so it's not just casual theft they are ignoring, it's ORGANISED CRIME.

YUP - in a city like Cambridge, it is organised crime. Also, you can get targetting of specific decent bike types stolen to order as well as 'job lot' theft. Whenever I've been cycling *in* Cambridge, if I have to leave the bike on the street, it's locked with three locks and left in my plain sight.

OP
OP
Cab

Cab

Twenty Inch said:
Is there a local Policing board that you can engage with?

Said policing consultative groups seem to be pretty much run by Daily Wail reading bike haters, as far as I can tell. It would be such an uphill struggle!

Vikeonabike

Cab
Each area holds a quarterly panel meeting. Find out which one covers the area you are live in and then attend.
PC Steve Hinks who works out of Parkside is the resident "cyclist". Try getting in touch with him for starters!

OP
OP
Cab

Cab

Vikeonabike said:
Cab
Each area holds a quarterly panel meeting. Find out which one covers the area you are live in and then attend.
PC Steve Hinks who works out of Parkside is the resident "cyclist". Try getting in touch with him for starters!

Cheers! I'll do just that. Steve Hinks... I'll look him up now!

Edit: I've just looked him up. Yep, he's the bloke I've seen completely ignore motorists breaking the law (driving on the pavement) because he was intently talking to a cyclist who was going the wrong way down a one way street, at walking pace.

I wonder whether he really supports doing that kind of thing, whether he thinks thats an appropriate use of his time.

Vikeonabike

CAB
Police officers are not at all like women. Multi Tasking s not an option. If we are dealing with one incident it is very difficult to deal with another. Been there, whislt giving a ticket to an errant motorist I could not deal with other things going on around me. If that cyclist hadn't been riding down the pavement the wrong way on a one way street then he may have dealt with the motorist. We also have orders from senior officers, these may mean that other misdemasnoors are out of our remit for that day. Trust me He really is Pro Cycling!

Try organisig a day out on Patrol with him, failing that you can come out with me and see what we have to deal wth on a daily basis. Then make up your mind about the Police and our attitude towards cycling and everything else we have to deal with.

OP
OP
Cab

Cab

Vike, you clearly know the guy, so I'll take it from you that he's pro-cycling. I'll find time to get in touch with the guy, see what he has to say. Thanks!

Top Bottom