Cambridge to Amsterdam in two days. Am I being over ambitious?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Charlie_P

Me and a few friends intend to cycle from Cambridge to Amsterdam in two days during June. Splitting the journey of about 120 miles (overland) evenly over two days of cycling. Being young, fairly fit and reasonably experienced at day tripping. However this would be the first proper touring expedition? So what I really want to know is, are we mad to even consider attempting this? Has anyone else managed this?

I will be very grateful for any advise!

Cheers,

Charlie

Brains

Legendary Member
I'd say if day one was Cambridge/Harwich and day two Hook of Holland/Amsterdam it's doable
Both days are flat, you will need a good navigator with a bar bag, maps etc for day one, with a back up of the train if needed, start early and you have until about 10pm before the ferry leaves. Day two is easy enough with the train as a back up

willem

Über Member
I have done Cambridge - Harwich in one day quite a few times, first going back to Holland when I was living in Cambridge. Later, visiting Cambridge when I was living in Holland again. It is tough but doable. Hook - Amsterdam is no problem. For the Dutch cycle route planner, see: http://www.fietsersb...nner/index.html Unfortunately the interface is still in Dutch. The nicest route is mostly through the sanddunes along the coast, but you could alternate it with a more inland route through places like Delft and past the lakes north of there on the way back.
Willem

pshore

Hi Charlie,

That kind of distance sounds fine, 50 miles average per day is about right to enjoy a cycle tour and this one being fairly flat should be fine. If you are doing that kind of mileage on day trips you know your body works, how to fuel it and if you get any chafing.

It's natural to be a bit nervous of something you've never done before for good reason. So if you are worried, have a practice. Go for a ride fully loaded when you haven't got a boat to catch and you will soon discover if all of your kit will work, how much distance you can do in what time. etc etc.

It sounds like a great trip !

Phil.

willem

Über Member
Cambridge Harwich is rather more than 60 miles. Hook to Amsterdam is 90.4 km by the shortest cycle route, so that should be fine.
Willem

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I don't know about Cambridge to Harwich, but I did the Hoek to Amsterdam in a day on a couple of occasions. The last time I went up the coast on the LF1 cycle path to Zandvoort and then turned right to join the LF20 outside Haarlem. This takes you all the way to Amsterdam. The ride was 67 miles including getting comprehensively lost in Zandvoort. I had a couple of panniers which weighed a total of about 10kg, I think and it wasn't a hard ride. In Holland the wind can be a bit tedious.

Will1962

There is also a system called 'Knooppuntroutes' that covers much of the Netherlands. It is a system whereby each cycle route junction is given a number between 1 and 99, and you just follow a route, going from one 'Knooppunt' to the next. The junctions have a map, so in theory you don't even have to carry one with you. There ia a sign telling you when you are approaching the 'Knooppunt' and once you get there, there are signs pointing to the other 'Knooppunts' reachable from that one.

This tourer's site has some info on the 'Knooppuntroutes' (under 'Cycle Networks'): http://www.cycletourer.co.uk/cycletouring/holland.shtml

You can also plan a route before you go on this site: http://www.falk.nl/

Will

hubbike

I now have a stock reply to any post that asks "am I being too ambitious?"

no. dream bigger. go do it.

but seriously. 120 miles over two days....we are talking no more than 12 hours in the saddle. if it wasnt for the ferry you could do it in a longish day.

Fietslogies

I guess you will stay there a few nights, and eventually use your bikes to discover the outskirts and surroundings of Amsterdam? The recent harbour redevelopment projects are worth a bike ride!

Top Bottom