Came off yesterday (injury pics included)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
J

Joe

Über Member
domtyler said:
If a collision is going to occur it is almost certainly going to happen at a junction of some kind and cyclists must be at a hundred and fifty percent awareness when they are anywhere near one.
Well I agree with that. I defintely didn't RLJ so I guess it might be time to join the CTC...will they help out with accidents that happened before you joined?
With regard to witnesses, there were definitely people around but whether they witnessed the incident/gave their details to the police etc I don't know.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Oooh, ouchee, and very glad you're OK!

Joe said:
Well I agree with that. I defintely didn't RLJ so I guess it might be time to join the CTC...will they help out with accidents that happened before you joined?
With regard to witnesses, there were definitely people around but whether they witnessed the incident/gave their details to the police etc I don't know.

Yes the CT will help you out, even if you join after the incident. They come highly recommended!

domtyler

Über Member
magnatom said:
Yes the CT will help you out, even if you join after the incident. They come highly recommended!

It may be easier to just get the woman's phone number, give it to Magnatom who can give her his heavy breathing routine and she will most likely pay anything for him to stop! :ohmy:

Tynan

Veteran
so even if they can argue lights they'll have to agree that that they didn't see a bike heading straight towards their path in a primary position?

the driver would not have know the lights were amber, it's not a factor

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
Ahh Mate!

Glad you are reasonably intact! Get plenty of rest.
I'm with those who say it appears to be the lady's error for not letting you thru, irrespective of the lights or you chancing your luck, TBH.

At least your banged up ear shouldn't stop you cycling, eh?

Tynan said:
so even if they can argue lights they'll have to agree that that they didn't see a bike heading straight towards their path in a primary position?

the driver would not have know the lights were amber, it's not a factor

You need to think like an insurance company, not a sane person (I may have just called you sane :o). They could suggest that running the amber was a factor if you hadn't had good reason. Thus, they could claim that the accident wouldn't have happened if you hadn't run the amber. Of course if you hadn't got out of bed that morning it wouldn't have happened. However, they will avoid paying out if they can!

I'm no expert in this field, but from what I have read elsewhere, this seems to be the way they work.

Where is Patrick when you need him?

domtyler said:
It may be easier to just get the woman's phone number, give it to Magnatom who can give her his heavy breathing routine and she will most likely pay anything for him to stop! :ohmy:

She would have to time it just right, so that I was just cycling out of the Clyde tunnel at the time if she wanted the full heavy breathing experience! :smile:

buggi

Bird Saviour
It depends what lights are there. at junctions you get either:

(a) no separate green light for right turning traffic (so just the normal traffic lights with red, amber, green and no right arrow); or

(:ohmy: filter lights for right turning traffic (so the normal red, amber, green and a little right arrow that flashes up after the light for the opposite facing traffic has turned red)

(c) or at really big junctions a separate set of traffic lights for the right turning lane.

so for (a) above. she would have seen the light turn amber BUT this is not a signal for her to go without making sure the way is clear. As long as you did not go over on red, it is not your fault.

for (:smile: above, she would not have known your side had turned amber, as all she would be waiting for is for the additional green arrow to light up, which wouldn't light up until AFTER your light had gone red. She would be allowed to go before the arrow lit, but it is her responsibility to make sure the way is clear. therefore, as long as you did not jump a red light and went on amber again it is not your fault.

for (c) above, the light to turn right would again not turn green until yours had turned red.

so if you are saying you went on amber then you are not at fault in any circumstance. It was either her responsibility to make sure it was clear or she jumped a red light in (c).

get some legal advice and get sueing.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Hope you are starting to feel better. Why not contact the police and find out exactly what details they do have, junction, if there were witnesses and what the car driver said. And once you know which junction you could go down and look at the light sequence at that junction.

Top Bottom