Came off yesterday (injury pics included)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Having gone to such a good school, and being reasonably clever, there should be no problem in you looking up and understanding what is meant by brittle failure. Why then do you need to use phrases like special and personal?

How about trying this:
Take a piece of polystyrene and bend it so that it splits. Now take a similar piece, hold it against the wall, and hit it with the palm of your other hand. There's an obvious huge difference.

The guy had a brain injury, the photos show brittle failure, the helmet didn't work very well. Well, it probably did a good job of preventing some cuts and scrapes, but that's probably all. The chances are that after braking the crash speed was probably well within helmet design spec.

Tynan

Veteran
I'm not doing another pissy argument on this

I understand your arguments just fine, because I don't agree or accept them wholesale doesn't mean I don't understand them, you clearly haven't got my reference on personal so let's drop it

I've listened to and considered all the stuff you've offered and it genuinely has educated me

But I still think a helmet can only be a good thing when someone goes over the handlebars, I for one would rather be wearing one than not, suspect OP on this thread thinks so too, suspect you agree?

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Respect for your post.

Funnily enough, I saw an oncoming right-turning creeper on my ride yesterday that gave me the horrors thinking of this topic. This topic was flashing through my mind.

domtyler

Über Member
I've been cycling on the road and off road too for some years since I was about two or three years old and the only time a helmet would have done me any good was when I was about five and the big kids got me to ride over a ramp made of very flexible plywood leant against an old style pram, circa 1977. Needless to say I went right through a semi circular flight mid air and landed on my head. Ran home and got taken to hospital by my mum and had four stitches.

My main relief was that as I was running home with blood gushing from my head wound I knew I was gonna get a massive wallop from my mum as soon as I got through the door, but fortunately I didn't on that occasion! ;)

anonymouse

Glad to hear you're not too badly hurt Joe.

The advice others have given to go to the CTC is good. Two points to stress, though. Firstly, keep receipts for everything - painkillers, alternative transport if your bike's off the road, etc. You'd be surprised how it adds up. Secondly, do watch very closely for any symptoms of longer-term head injury. The chances are that you'll be absolutely fine, but since you lost consciousness you need to keep an eye on it. The effects can often be quite subtle, but if you notice any memory problems, continuing headaches, unusual mood swings, or really anything out of the ordinary at all, get straight to your doctor.

classic33

Leg End Member
One question about helmets. Was the cut to the ear caused by the chin strap do you know.
Asking because it looks similar to an injury someone who lived near me got when he came off & had the helmet slide round the head. Strap cutting into his ear.

Top Bottom