Came off yesterday (injury pics included)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hmmm.Was going to ask about the helmet but you were wearing one.

Were you wearing Hi-Viz?

Just for my own reference really as im not trying to say ooh you should have been and all that.

Would Safety stuff (Helmet/Lights/Hi-Viz)bode well if there was a court case?

Hope you recover and get straight back onto the bike soon mate.

Maz

Guru
Terminator said:
Hmmm.Was going to ask about the helmet but you were wearing one.

Were you wearing Hi-Viz?
there's your cue bentmikey...can you resist?!;)

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Cracks in a helmet are usually taken as a sign of brittle failure, i.e. that the helmet failed to work. Going by the scuffing though, I reckon it probably did a good job of stopping cuts and scrapes.

Pete

Joe said:
Well, I'm not the artistic type so heres the googlemaps version:

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=50.827446,-0.168462&spn=0.000745,0.001824&t=h&z=19

I'm 95% sure thats the junction (there are so many down that road!). They must have been waiting to turn right in a similar position to the car in the photo. I was travelling from left to right in the inside land and must have hit them part way accross.
Hmmm... Church Road-The Drive/Grand Ave. Big BIG junction, pretty hairy and you need to put in some work to get across it - definitely not to be trifled with! I was wrong in my downhill guess it seems, that stretch of road is quite level. I know it well - in fact, many years ago I used to live just a couple of streets away (in Norton Road). And - spookily - I remember once making a 999 call myself at that precise spot - not a cycling accident that time but a pedestrian, an elderly lady who'd been knocked down by a car whilst crossing the road. I called the ambulance (I was also a pedestrian that occasion), but she wasn't too badly hurt.

Glad to know - as it appears - your hurts are equally moderate - if painful!

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
summerdays said:
Hope you are starting to feel better. Why not contact the police and find out exactly what details they do have, junction, if there were witnesses and what the car driver said. And once you know which junction you could go down and look at the light sequence at that junction.

Tell them you want full copies of the accident report to pass onto your solicitor. Do it quick - there have been cases of plod losing them!

02GF74

Über Member
ooh nasty ... but looks like your pretty youg so should bounce back in no time. take it easy and speedy recovery.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Bugger... glad you are OK - 20mph isn't excessive at all - I've been taken out at 30 mph by a car - and like you say, you go through the calm - "Oh Bugger - this is going to hurt" moment at the point of impact.

Tynan

Veteran
cracked helmet means it has worked, that's what it's supposed to do, absorb energy, it's a cycle helmet not armour plate

even tanks get holes put in them

Tynan

Veteran
so not going to have a row over your special personal technical terms

helmet is designed to take x amount of energy, thereafter it will fail, it's not an uncommon idea in materials, that's what that foam type liner is all about

even if it really is a brittle failure rather than crush, the helmet has absorbed energy that would otherwise have been taken by the rider's head, yeah?

I'd wager there's crush and brittle involved anyway

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
The point is that brittle failure absorbs very little energy, and that is not how helmets are designed to work.

"Special personal technical terms". Insults are really good at advancing your debate.

Tynan

Veteran
how is that an insult? it refers to a tactic you use in advancing an argument, no insult whatsoever

that or you're keen to claim that you're being insulted

also a very powerful tool in trying to win an argument, bravo

Top Bottom