Cameras + YouTube + Google - using the power

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
I'm interested in ideas you might have for multiplying the power of our cameras out there. Here are some I've thought of:

Google alerts on each of the registration plates and companies I've videoed. This should help us to quickly gather together information on multiple repeat offenders to increase the consequences on particularly bad cases and to post video responses on each others' videos about them.

Some sort of standardised YouTube reporting format that would include updates on complaints made, date/time/location, heads up on driver/mates responses in the comments, etc.

dawesome

I've wondered about this before. We all know side swiping or stupidly dangerous close passes do not prompt the cops to do anything. Suppose a repeat offender is caught a number of times carrying out silly driving errors. They are reported to Roadsafe, nothing happens, then the driver kills someone. Embarrassing for the cops, at the very least. And the employer, if it's a works vehicle. I hope to God it doesn't happen but it's plausible.

There has to be a point that organising like this crosses a line that will pique the curiosity of the authorities, probably in a negative way, I would tread very carefully.

MrHappyCyclist

Riding the Devil's HIghway
I think one problem is that there is not reliable way to separate out the really serious cases from the large number of examples of bad driving that weren't quite so dangerous. I think some standard tags that we all use to indicate the nature/severity of the incident might be useful. For example:
#seriousinjury
#injury
#actualcontact
#extremelydangerous
#dangerous
#aggressive
#rude
#impolite

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
I think one problem is that there is not reliable way to separate out the really serious cases from the large number of examples of bad driving that weren't quite so dangerous. I think some standard tags that we all use to indicate the nature/severity of the incident might be useful. For example:
#seriousinjury
#injury
#actualcontact
#extremelydangerous
#dangerous
#aggressive
#rude
#impolite
The only problem is peoples perceptions of danger is different. Especially when it comes to videos. It can be a lot worse in real life but on the video it doesn't look so bad.

MrHappyCyclist

Riding the Devil's HIghway
The only problem is peoples perceptions of danger is different. Especially when it comes to videos. It can be a lot worse in real life but on the video it doesn't look so bad.
True, it's not going to be precise, but it might help to improve the signal-to-noise ratio a bit.

#seriousinjury
#injury
#actualcontact
#extremelydangerous
#dangerous
#aggressive
#rude
#impolite

Not a bad idea, but following on from Gaz's point, I'd simply these so there are a lot less categories. I'd suggest:

Serious injury
Injury
damage only
dangerous (with a suggested guide being some form of evasive action was required by cyclist to avoid contact)
careless (where the danger exists, but no evasive action was required/taken, e.g. close pass)

Please note the above words 'dangerous' and 'careless' and the suggested guides I gave in no way link in to the driving offences of the same name, so it may even be worthwhile calling them something else to avoid confusion.

The point about a bad driver having numerous hits, and then killing someone after no action is a very well made point. If, god forbid, this did happen this could prompt serious change in road policing.

I can't see 'authority's' getting aggravated either - and even if they did, they couldn't take action to stop this without lobbying for a change in the law that would have serious percussions!

Bigsharn

Veteran
Before uploading my video to youtube I search that a video with the numberplate isn't already uploaded by someone else. So far it hasn't happened, but should it happen I'll post a video reply to the original, and urge the first poster to report the bad driver (At least, so the police have two reports and *might* do something).

OP
OP
B

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
I'm not sure the hash is necessary, but as tags I think that's a pretty good idea!!

I usually tag my videos with the following:
201112292044 - meaning year/month/day/time
X123TGY
X123-TGY
X123 TGY (three variants of some random sample of numberplate)
A202 Vauxhall Bridge Road

OP
OP
B

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Oh, and I'm not keen on opinions such as rude tw@t and that sort of thing going into videos. I think we'll have far more impact if we're calm and matter of fact in descriptions. Same goes for speaking to motons, but then best practice is not to speak to them at all.

Serious injury
Injury
damage only
dangerous (with a suggested guide being some form of evasive action was required by cyclist to avoid contact)
careless (where the danger exists, but no evasive action was required/taken, e.g. close pass)

I like that simpler list.

Only one I'd be tempted to add would be "aggressive", between dangerous and careless, to cover clearly deliberate intimidation - more than careless, but not quite dangerous necessarily? For the guys who eyeball you, and drive straight at you? And the guys who do something stupid, and then draw up beside you, window down, to give you a verbal lesson in limited vocabulary about their expectations of where cyclists should be?

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Oh, and I'm not keen on opinions such as rude tw@t and that sort of thing going into videos. I think we'll have far more impact if we're calm and matter of fact in descriptions. Same goes for speaking to motons, but then best practice is not to speak to them at all.
I agree. Simple descriptions of the incident type in the title and descriptions of the video should not be opinionated or insulting.

mr_hippo

Living Legend & Old Fart
Descriptions:-
Cycling youtube junkie
Two wheels good, four wheels bad
Attention-seeking cyclist
I want my 15 seconds of fame
Colonoscopy perforrmed on cyclist by motorist
Cyclist without spatial awareness blames motorist
Thou shalt not pass because I am a cyclist

It is too late for this year so, next year, can you ask Santa to get you a life?
First man invented the wheel, then he invented traffic and then the close overtake. Why not ask your MP to pass a law about close overtakes? That will solve the problem; after all we have laws against murder and no one gets murdered any more and since stealing was made illegal no one steals.
So, there is someone behind and they want to pass - move over but you will not because that is your bit of road and you are not giving in to motorists. It is called integration and co-operation. Do you employ the same mindset when walking? If not , why not? Please do not try to say that it is not the same; they are both methods of getting from A to B through traffic.

Top Bottom