Cameras + YouTube + Google - using the power

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
There's a big difference: the Silly Cyclists series does not name individual offenders. It merely demonstrates examples of bad/dangerous cycling, examples of which I see on an almost daily basis. By contrast, the name and shame videos on Youtube, which are aimed at motorists, generally set out to target a specific individual by way of posting their car registration.

These name and shame videos are, by and large, designed to incriminate rather than educate motorists, whilst the cyclists who filmed them remain untouchable.
Posting number plates is hardly naming and shaming the driver.
We can't trace who the driver is or who the registered owner is from the numberplate.
Even if we include the drivers face or voice, we can't identify who they are unless we know them.
We only post publicly available information along with video footage which either shows a non-incident or an incident.

In either case, it's better than some of the B/S lies that some motorists post about others.. http://www.myroadrage.co.uk/

Schneil

Veteran
It would be interesting to see if a named numberplate on youtube, with a video of bad driving would affect the resale value of the named car.

OP
OP
B

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
There's a big difference: the Silly Cyclists series does not name individual offenders. It merely demonstrates examples of bad/dangerous cycling, examples of which I see on an almost daily basis. By contrast, the name and shame videos on Youtube, which are aimed at motorists, generally set out to target a specific individual by way of posting their car registration.

These name and shame videos are, by and large, designed to incriminate rather than educate motorists, whilst the cyclists who filmed them remain untouchable.

On the contrary, the motorists incriminate themselves through their own bad driving, and it most definitely does change and improve driver behaviour. It even gets some sent to court.

I'd say Silly Cyclists are just as identifiable - you see far more of the person cycling than you do of most drivers. Just like number plates, they are likely only known to those who encounter them in real life. Otherwise it's just some random person/random number plate on YouTube. The only real difference is that the number plate lets the police or other authorities contact the registered owner directly.

OP
OP
B

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
It would be interesting to see if a named numberplate on youtube, with a video of bad driving would affect the resale value of the named car.

I doubt it'd affect the car, unless YouTubing of road footage becomes really widespread. My guess is that the value of personal plates would be more affected.

dawesome

I don't like this idea. It comes across as a "war on motorists" and that we [cyclists] have an agenda.

Like CCTV in Top Man comes across as a "War Against Shoplifters". 16 dead cyclists in London this year. Several road rage thugs caught on film and punished in the courts. A few hit-and-run drivers caught and fined. I can see real benefits of cameras, every helmet or new bike should be sold with a camera included, bring it on, and if the only downside to all this is that some drivers think it's unfair, as Mr Flanders of the RHA apparently thinks, then cry me a frigging river.

lukesdad

I don't like this idea. It comes across as a "war on motorists" and that we [cyclists] have an agenda.

Yes I tend to agree, its only going to be regarded as antagonistic IMO if it isnt allready so.

MrHappyCyclist

Riding the Devil's HIghway
Yes I tend to agree, its only going to be regarded as antagonistic IMO if it isnt allready so.
Only if you subscribe to the "war between cyclists amd motorists" crap that the news media use to boost their figures. As Mikey says, it is an agenda to change the behaviour of bad drivers and everyone should subscribe to that irrespective of their mode of transport; unless of couse they are a bad driver themselves.

OP
OP
B

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
The 320 bus drivers don't think there's any war. As a result of my videos of them they almost all wave at me when we pass on the road, their bus route is almost exactly the first half of my commute.

Little yellow Brompton

A dark destroyer of biscuits!
I'm not sure about you, but, I DO have an agenda. I want to be able to cycle without being squeezed at a pinch point, run onto the rough part of the road or left hooked. My agenda also includes buses not trying to force their way past in bus lanes , only to stop 50 yrds further up the road at the bus stop, and taxis to stop at the first stop line and not fill the ASL box. I want to be able to cycle down the hill from the station without a taxi doing a 3 point turn in the road whilst screaming " I'm farking indicating what more do you want ?" If using a camera cuts down on these then good, bring on the "war"!

lukesdad

I'm not sure about you, but, I DO have an agenda. I want to be able to cycle without being squeezed at a pinch point, run onto the rough part of the road or left hooked. My agenda also includes buses not trying to force their way past in bus lanes , only to stop 50 yrds further up the road at the bus stop, and taxis to stop at the first stop line and not fill the ASL box. I want to be able to cycle down the hill from the station without a taxi doing a 3 point turn in the road whilst screaming " I'm ****ing indicating what more do you want ?" If using a camera cuts down on these then good, bring on the "war"!

There you go !

400bhp

Guru
The 320 bus drivers don't think there's any war. As a result of my videos of them they almost all wave at me when we pass on the road, their bus route is almost exactly the first half of my commute.

I've no idea what you are talking about. Are there only 320 bus drivers in the UK? Your videos have led from what to what?

Top Bottom