Cameras + YouTube + Google - using the power

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

400bhp

Guru
Like CCTV in Top Man comes across as a "War Against Shoplifters". 16 dead cyclists in London this year. Several road rage thugs caught on film and punished in the courts. A few hit-and-run drivers caught and fined. I can see real benefits of cameras, every helmet or new bike should be sold with a camera included, bring it on, and if the only downside to all this is that some drivers think it's unfair, as Mr Flanders of the RHA apparently thinks, then cry me a frigging river.

Is this a rant? I'm not sure what your point is?

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
I've no idea what you are talking about. Are there only 320 bus drivers in the UK? Your videos have led from what to what?
The route 320. lol

dawesome

Is this a rant? I'm not sure what your point is?

Do you think it's a good idea that drivers who smash in to vulnerable road users and drive away in a hit-and-run get caught and punished? Or drivers who get out of their car and assault people for daring use the road? I expect people to do as I do and obey the law and be careful on the roads. If they don't and get caught by a helmet cam and get points and a hefty fine I'll play a lament on the world's smallest violin.

YES!!! The agenda is drive and cycle safely and considerately, and share the road. Not exactly rocket science, after all.

+1001

It just isn't "war against motorists". That's plain daft. Yes - a couple of my videos have had bus drivers taken off the road for extra training, but equally, a couple have had bus drivers receive commendations for excellent driving. I love the way the #4 FTR (bendybus) drivers in Leeds really look out for cyclists - aye, many's the time they've covered my arse in dangerous junctions, and I look out for them too. And it's kinda nice the way so many of them give a cheery wave whenever they see me.

And it's no more "name and shame" than a speed camera "names and shames". A video is no more than a simple bit of evidence of bad driving - some of it so seriously dangerous that W Yorks traffic police not only write, but visit the gentleman in question to deliver the letter by hand. My guess is that it's probably the first time the driver realises he's been caught on camera - it's kinda sad it takes a visit from the police for the guy to realise what a tool he's been, so that he apologises, but that's life.

But I'd also guess that's a small group of drivers who will be a lot more careful around cyclists - at least for a wee while? Something tells me he won't welcome a repeat of the neighbours' curtain twitching :smile:

And for mrhippo - I have a life, thank you. Rough back of the envelope calculation - between early May and mid November, I cycled just over 2000 miles. 1985 miles without any incidents to cause me serious concern or fear. That's 1985 miles of "integration and co-operation" - your phrase; I say 1985 miles of cycling safely and courteously, and enjoying meeting thousands of drivers driving equally safely and courteously, with all sorts of "give and take". Believe me ..... I ain't going to bore myself, you, or anybody else with 1985 miles of cheery waves, smiles - that's a purely private pleasure and I ain't sharing it! :P

But there are a select few dingbats who messed up their driving on 15 of my miles (0.75%) - and 14 drivers did it so badly, they had their employers or the police follow up their incompetent and/or dangerous driving.

Get your cameras, lads and lasses - aye, and use them wisely.

Little yellow Brompton

A dark destroyer of biscuits!
Do you think it's a good idea that drivers who smash in to vulnerable road users and drive away in a hit-and-run get caught and punished? Or drivers who get out of their car and assault people for daring use the road? I expect people to do as I do and obey the law and be careful on the roads. If they don't and get caught by a helmet cam and get points and a hefty fine I'll play a lament on the world's smallest violin.
What 'E Said!

Little yellow Brompton

[QUOTE 1660824, member: 3143"]Then learn how to ride a bike. I'm rather sick of helmet cam folk relying on a camera as insurance for shoot/non assertive/non checked/piss poor/amateur/dickhead/moronic/dense riding. A camera is not going to help you when you are down the local morgue.

If you wish to be spared the humilation LYB of me taking apart your riding on here then please let me know via PM and you can send me your vids to me privately. I'll then give expert analysis in the way that you ride aiming to help you in the future. All free of course - anything for a fellow cyclist brethen.[/quote]
This should be good...

Why don't you give me and the rest of the world your expert opinion on just how you can teach me to "learn how to ride a bike" that will enable us all to stop a taxi driver deciding not to stop at a stop line and instead fille the ASL box? How does being assertive or more observant cure this problem?
Or maybe you would like to tell all us lesser beings how exactly curing my "piss poor" riding style will cure a taxi driver of screaming?
If those are too hard, possibly you might want to start with lecturing me on how to cycle at a speed that is exaclty the right one not to hold up or catch a bus , taking into accounts stops and traffic lights?

It will be interesting, if nothing else.

Little yellow Brompton

[QUOTE 1660861, member: 3143"]Oh dear, reading the above, I fear for you in the fact that you will probbly become part of the KSI stats in the not so distant future.[/quote]
I have the feeling that this thread will end up like the last one, where you make lots of noise, don't come up with anything positive and then flounce out when your bluff is called, again.

So , what in your "expert " opinion are the answers to taxi drivers filling ASLs, Bus drivers acting agressively, and taxi drivers swearing and screaming? Which part of the road should we be using, what type of tyres do we need, maybe we should be using more assertive aftershave? I'm waiting , with bated breath for your "expert" opinion!

I have a suspicion, I will be waiting a long time...

Little yellow Brompton

[QUOTE 1660871, member: 3143"]You did not know what you was going on about in the last thread wrt blindspots on trucks, you actually needed me to tell you and then you tried palming this off as your own info, so quit with the bullshit.

As for the above, give me your opinion and I'll tell you if you are right or wrong.[/quote]

Was that the thread where you claimed that you could see the cyclist all the time and he was never in the "blind spot"? Did you dip out of the thread before or after the person who made the video said that the cyclist went up the side of the cab, across the front and exited on the right hand side...? I can't remember you mentioning seeing that!

But back to this thread...

"As for the above, give me your opinion and I'll tell you if you are right or wrong"

This makes no sense as the question (s) wasn't about my opinion but your "expert analysis". I will ask again "what in your "expert " opinion are the answers to taxi drivers filling ASLs, Bus drivers acting agressively, and taxi drivers swearing and screaming? Which part of the road should we be using, what type of tyres do we need, maybe we should be using more assertive aftershave?"

Whilst we are waiting for your answers, ( which I have a sinking feeling will not be readily forthcoming) maybe you would like to provide the basis upon which your "expert analysis " is based, you have qualifications in how to displace taxi drivers perhaps, or maybe you have been trained in matching bus timetables and can tell us where we can also learn these skills?

Or maybe, just maybe you are one of the drivers who are running scared of cameras ?

Your answers, or lack of them will be interesting, but I have a inkling, not very enlightening. Now , you have one chance, I'm not going to drag this out , back and forth, you can either answer the questions or you can evade/bluster, your choice, but don't forget, I'm not the only one who gets to read your response or lack of one.

Little yellow Brompton

[QUOTE 1660904, member: 3143"]Because it was never raised. <Lee does not why he bothers to explain as he would get more sense out of a metal spoon>

As for the rest of your post, Lee will have to back to you. He is currently writing an answer and is looking to get it copyrighted. This way any attempt by you to take this information and palm it off as your own will be copyright infringement, I'll leave this to your imagination where this can lead...[/quote]
We can add Copyright to DefCon as some of the things you have heard about but don't understand ( Copyright is automatic , you don't need to "get it coprighted"), I can see that, rather than show any expertise you are going for the evade/bluster mode. Have fun.

Little yellow Brompton

I'd prefer to keep this on topic on how to maximise the effectiveness of cameras in bringing consequences and changing behaviour. Not interested in the morality of filming drivers, or in p1$$ing contests.

Oh I've finished with that, Lee had his chance(s) to show his expertise, and then dipped out.

Top Bottom