Cameras + YouTube + Google - using the power

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Breath in 2.. 3... BREATH OUT 2.. 3.. (REPEAT)

Whilst I would agree that it appears that some people have those opinions mr_hippo. We only see a limited snap shot of how they cycle. For all you know they could be doing exactly what you are suggesting most of the time.

lukesdad

Breath in 2.. 3... BREATH OUT 2.. 3.. (REPEAT)

Whilst I would agree that it appears that some people have those opinions mr_hippo. We only see a limited snap shot of how they cycle. For all you know they could be doing exactly what you are suggesting most of the time.

.....and some cammers may share your motives gaz. Unfortunately that is not how it appears to us mere mortals, and cripes there s that word " power" again in the OP :sad:

Reactions: gaz

MrHappyCyclist

Riding the Devil's HIghway
I'm not sure the hash is necessary, but as tags I think that's a pretty good idea!!
I just put the hashes to distinguish the tags from random occurrences of the same words, but I think you're right, it's probably not necessary. I think CopperCyclist's set is better as it is simpler. I think it is important, though, to avoid second guessing the motives and to focus on what we actually know, so I would prefer "inconsiderate" rather than "careless". Careless implies it was not deliberate, and we don't know whether that is true or not.

MrHappyCyclist

.....and some cammers may share your motives gaz. Unfortunately that is not how it appears to us mere mortals,
You're right, it can be difficult to avoid making unfounded assumptions about the motives of others (both on YouTube and in here), and some people seem to find it impossible, though I don't think it's anything particularly to do with being mortal.

and cripes there s that word " power" again in the OP :sad:
Oh dear. It was obvious to anyone with a brain that the OP was referring to the power of the technology.

Who was that plonker who would ride down the middle of narrow roads to force confrontation with drivers then post the video of the confrontation on here?

Even then only 30% of people pulled him on it.

CraigTheBiker

Seriously, if you want to go down the road of organised naming and shaming, then it will have only one outcome - to create even more animosity between motorists and cyclists. It will get to the point that car drivers will insist on bikes having number plates, so that they can conduct their own vigilante naming and shaming campaigns.

lukesdad

You're right, it can be difficult to avoid making unfounded assumptions about the motives of others (both on YouTube and in here), and some people seem to find it impossible, though I don't think it's anything particularly to do with being mortal.

Oh dear. It was obvious to anyone with a brain that the OP was referring to the power of the technology.

Commutings Spin doctor.^_^

Seriously, if you want to go down the road of organised naming and shaming, then it will have only one outcome - to create even more animosity between motorists and cyclists. It will get to the point that car drivers will insist on bikes having number plates, so that they can conduct their own vigilante naming and shaming campaigns.
+1

MrHappyCyclist

Commutings Spin doctor.^_^
Ah yes; I need to be more precise in my writing (to the point of pedantry): "It was obvious to anyone with a brain that the OP was referring to the analytical and communicative power of the particular combination of technologies that were listed: Cameras + YouTube + Google." :thumbsup:

MrHappyCyclist

Well, there is a danger of that, though that implies that the majority of motorists would readily put themselves into the same category as the bad drivers that are named (or whose registration numbers are quoted) and so see it as an implied attack on themselves. That further implies that either the majority of motorists are bad drivers, or the majority of motorists are unable to see the difference between themselves as good drivers and the bad drivers that appear in the videos. Rather a depressing picture.

Following on from Mikey's point, then, do you take offence when you see Gaz attacking all cyclists through the Silly Cyclists series? Do you feel animosity towards him for that?

I do agree, though, that it would be more effective to use these tools to build more compelling evidence to be presented to the authorities in relation to persistent dangerous drivers.

CraigTheBiker

Following on from Mikey's point, then, do you take offence when you see Gaz attacking all cyclists through the Silly Cyclists series? Do you feel animosity towards him for that?

There's a big difference: the Silly Cyclists series does not name individual offenders. It merely demonstrates examples of bad/dangerous cycling, examples of which I see on an almost daily basis. By contrast, the name and shame videos on Youtube, which are aimed at motorists, generally set out to target a specific individual by way of posting their car registration.

These name and shame videos are, by and large, designed to incriminate rather than educate motorists, whilst the cyclists who filmed them remain untouchable.

MrHappyCyclist

There's a big difference: the Silly Cyclists series does not name individual offenders. It merely demonstrates examples of bad/dangerous cycling, examples of which I see on an almost daily basis. By contrast, the name and shame videos on Youtube, which are aimed at motorists, generally set out to target a specific individual by way of posting their car registration.
OK, point taken, but you agree with my first paragraph then?

These name and shame videos are, by and large, designed to incriminate rather than educate motorists, whilst the cyclists who filmed them remain untouchable.
It's true that these videos are, by and large, designed to incriminate rather than as well as educate bad motorists, along with a number of other purposes. But that is rather the point; some of us are not satisfied with the piss-poor cycling environment in this country, which is mostly down to the poor attitudes of a lot of drivers. It is possible that the videos may eventually contribute to improving that situation. If bad drivers don't like it, then that is a sign that it is having some effect.

I'm not sure what you mean by "untouchable". If you mean anonymous, then quite right; I have a family and there are some nutters out there. If you mean that cyclists are not subject to the same laws, then you are just plain wrong. If you mean that cyclists in general are not as easy to identify from their vehicle as motorists, then quite right again; there is a very good reason why the driver of a dangerous piece of powerful, heavy machinery taken into a public place should be made easily traceable, unlike a pedestrian or a cyclist.

dawesome

Plenty of rioters were caught after being filmed on CCTV- they didn't have a registration plate on.

On the road, a public place, I can't see how a driver or registered keeper of the vehicle can complain if their idiotic driving is filmed and posted on You Tube. If they don't want to have their stupid behaviour publicised then they shouldn't drive like idiots, be racist on a tram or sling a cat in a bin.

Top Bottom