campag vs shimano

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lukeprkn

thinking of gettin new summer bike and not sure weather to get shimano ultegra 2010 groupset of campag centair 2010 groupset on it

what do you think ?

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
it's all down to personal preference. neither is a bad choice, but either way you'll find someone to tell you you made the wrong choice.

e-rider

crappy member
This is one of those questions that will never get a definitive answer on a forum.

Roadies used to swing in favour of Campagnolo but.....

Shimano are definitely better at making spare parts available. Campag spares are always difficult to find if it's no longer a current groupset - which happens very quickly these days with new groupsets/components released almost every year.

Shimano has become very expensive in the last 18 months. Just look at the prices of cassettes and chains.

The choice is yours and both have pros and cons. and both are good.

andyhunter

i have always used shimano, shimano ultegra is reliable but i duno it is lacking something but i have now shifted and sided with campy, i have just bought bora ultra twos campy freehub but current setup is shimano so i had to get a custom marchiso campy spline shimano spacing to work but im gettin a new bike build with campy super record 11speed. cut the story short, campy offer better technology and the verdict from people that use it and from racing it seems to be that bit better all round.

LazyLoki

Get whichever once you don't already have on your current bike. Then you'll know which one you prefer in the future.

This thread will no doubt run and run but to save you the time I'll sum it up. I've ridden both, they both work very well. Pretty much the only difference you'll notice is that shimano use the dual levers to shift while campag have one and the thumb shifter (much much better than the thumb shifter on Shimano Sora by the way). Shimano has a lighter shift action and the shifting seems smoother/mushier (not in a bad way). Campag shifts are much more positive, you can really feel how many gears you've shifted and each one has a distinct 'clunk' (not in a bad way - I really like this).

And....thats it. Really.

From a purely personal point of view Shimano is the safe option - lots of spares available in any bike shop but campag components, especially the top 3 Chorus, Record and Super Record are just gorgeously engineered.

l4dva

Guru
I'm thinking of going for a cantuar on my new bike as well, the shifters seem to be a lot lot more comfy (only tired in the LBS never riden on them yet) I don't like my current tiagra shifters.

I have a choice between standard cranks and carbon for an extra 80ish quid.... is this a worth while upgrade? will the carbon cranks be able to handle all the pressure and not flex etc??

(appologies for going off the point of orginal thread)

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
l4dva said:
I'm thinking of going for a cantuar on my new bike as well, the shifters seem to be a lot lot more comfy (only tired in the LBS never riden on them yet) I don't like my current tiagra shifters.

I have a choice between standard cranks and carbon for an extra 80ish quid.... is this a worth while upgrade? will the carbon cranks be able to handle all the pressure and not flex etc??

(appologies for going off the point of orginal thread)

i'd only go for carbon cranks if the bike is to be rarely used, or raced. i know someone who broke two campag record cranks on his pinerello which he commuted on (30 miles each way).

MartinC

Über Member
It's really a matter of personal preference and don't forget SRAM. We all know of course that Shimano make the best angling equipment in the world.

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
Secondhand/new-old-stock Campag components tend to have higher resale value. This is the case even for 30+ years old components, and not just for the top-of-the-range group. In fact I think many have been appreciating in value in recent years.

Perhaps it is like comparing Porsche and VW, they are both great marques making great cars, but one has more of a connoisseur following because the other's product range extends to mass market offerings. Campag essentially only make and sell bike components, but about 25% of Shimano's business is in fishing equipment. Shimano has approximately 10,000 employees vs Campag's 700.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
If you're the real deal then you'll perform with whatever your sponsor pays you to perform with.

For anyone else go with what pleases your eye, your wallet, your hands and your mechanical ability.

OP
OP
L

lukeprkn

the reason i ask is i have had a load of shoot with ribble so im ot getting that no more and now i am hearing that 2010 campag is not as good as 2009 and breaks alot, co now i am being swayed toward shimano ultegra. is it true that 2010 campag is easily broke and how to ultegra and centaur compare in weight, performance ect

Top Bottom