Campagnolo bottom bracket

Discussion in 'Bicycle Mechanics and Repairs' started by woodbutcher, 24 Jan 2018.

1. woodbutcher

woodbutcher Über Member

What am l doing wrong...l bought a Campagnolo bottom bracket as per the photo Italian thread 115mm spindle, for my Centaur triple crank.
    To fit my Italian Veneto frame, except that it doesn't ! I can't get it to even begin to screw in. Is it possible that the frame thread is English and should that make a difference anyway ?
    I don't mind hanging onto the campag. bb, it may have a future use but what should l do about finding the correct one for the frame.

Attached Files:

2. chriscross1966

chriscross1966 Senior Member

From memory, whilst the thread sizes and pitches are pretty similar, on an English BB one of the cups is wrong-handed thread, on an Italian they're both the same...

raleighnut, biggs682 and woodbutcher like this.
  3. biggs682

biggs682 Smile a mile bike provider Photo Winner

correct Italian threaded both screw the same way , is there a thread type on the box ?

4. OP
    OP
    woodbutcher

woodbutcher Über Member

will go and have a look...its on my workbench in disgrace !

biggs682 likes this.
  5. Cycleops

Cycleops Guru

Don’t they go in backwards like their tanks did in the desert? I’ll get my coat.

woodbutcher likes this.
  6. OP
    OP
    woodbutcher

woodbutcher Über Member

Been and had another look...l assume that centaur B. Bracket 115.5mm -ITA is the thread type. and sure enough they both go the same way .
    So l thought why not check the obvious...measured inside of bb shell 34mm, measured outside of bracket thread 35.5mm . Q.E.D up the creek without a paddle.

7. OP
    OP
    woodbutcher

woodbutcher Über Member

Yeah but very stylishly :whistle:

Cycleops likes this.
  8. raleighnut

raleighnut Guru

Is it a French BB size. (seeing as how you're in France.) :becool:

9. OP
    OP
    woodbutcher

woodbutcher Über Member

I really hope not since it is an Italian made frame which l bought from Hungary and paid for in pounds....this EU thing will never catch on you know^_^

raleighnut likes this.
  10. themosquitoking

themosquitoking Veteran

And making a horrendous noise.

11. midlife

midlife Veteran

12. ColinJ

ColinJ It's a puzzle ...

I have owned 2 Italian bikes. My Bianchi had English BB threads; my Basso has Italian BB threads.

woodbutcher likes this.
  13. OP
    OP
    woodbutcher

woodbutcher Über Member

Thanks for that, good to see a simple explanation with sizes. I hope lve done the right thing now and ordered an English thread bb , at least the odds look favourable. If this is wrong as well l may end up with an impressive collection of bb's to look at 1

14. OP
    OP
    woodbutcher

woodbutcher Über Member

That was the sound of Tosca and Aida practicing for The marriage of Figaro

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice