Campagnolo Cassette/Rear Derailleur compatibility

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Merida man

Regular
I have a 53/39 14/27 on my Campag 2000 Bianchi Road Bike. I'd like to change the rear Mech set-up and cassette to make it easier to get up hills. My fitted RD is a Campag Veloce 9 speed SS and I would like to change this and compatible cassette. I've found a 9-sppeed Rear Mech on ebay but cant find any Campag Cassettes for 9-Speed beyond 27 sprockets (looking for at least 30). I know I can't use shimano cassette on Campag Rear Hub so what are my options. Many Thanks

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
12-29 Miche Primato Campag fit is the biggest I can find.

https://www.tweekscycles.com/miche-...1_1580298947_74cf37a1a778a7baf325af8f2ae99a7e

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Campag don't really do low bottom gear cassettes. Too cissy for those macho Italian men :smile:.
Your best option might be to find a triple front chainset but might be pricey, plus you'll need new FD and shifter. No, forget it, cheaper to lace a new Shimano hub and use their cassette. You can keep the RD.

Last edited:

boydj

Legendary Member
You have to get to 11speed before shimano and campag cassettes have the same spacing. You would be better to fit smaller chainrings, or, as advised above, a triple chainset, which would probably also require a rear mech with a long cage.

Campag made a nice system specifically for this problem. It was called a Racing Triple. The crank had three chainrings (50/40/30 or 53/40/30) and the rear derailer was slightly longer and could handle a 28-tooth cassette (perhaps bigger, I can't remember).

OP
OP
Merida man

Merida man

Regular
Thanks for all the replies. It's given me a few options and at the end of the day it's all a bit of cycle knowledge That I didn't have. I'm actually looking at this for a friend so I'll offer him some options

53/39 always gives gears of a tallish nature, in my experience. Might the simplest option be to change the cranks and chain-rings for a modern "compact" at 50/34? 34/27 is what I have as the lowest gear on my winter Sempre, and it gets me up most things, albeit slowly.

2old2care

Über Member
Get a Shimano wheel and a Shimano cassette. The nine speeds are the same spacing for Campag and Shimano, so should work.

boydj

Legendary Member
53/39 always gives gears of a tallish nature, in my experience. Might the simplest option be to change the cranks and chain-rings for a modern "compact" at 50/34? 34/27 is what I have as the lowest gear on my winter Sempre, and it gets me up most things, albeit slowly.

Last year I made changes to two of my bikes to lower the gearing to suit my advancing years and diminishing power. With the carbon bike, I went sub-compact - 46/32, which is pretty much a cycle-cross set-up. With the other bike, I bought an old-fashioned square taper bottom bracket and a basic triple chainset - 48-38-28, which is more of a touring set-up.

I found Spa Cycles gives the best set of options to get a chainset with the right options for what you want without breaking the bank.

Top Bottom