Campagnolo Centaur triple

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

woodbutcher

Veteran
Im interested to know what opinions there are on 50-40-30 chainrings. Do they have a legitimate place on a "vintage" bike or just for old blokes like me who need a bit more help to get up the steep bits ?:bicycle:

Getting up steep bits is “a legitimate place”.

I see plenty of 1980’s and 90’s road bikes with triples, here’s one I Spotted online this morning.

https://www.2ememain.be/vélos/vélos/vélos-de-course/carrera-marco-pantani-94-394949122.html

pawl

Legendary Member
I have a Campag triple 52 42 32 on my old 2003 Giant. Largest rear cog is 28.

Considering changing to 50 40 30.If I could find a 30 or 32 rear I would lower my gearing considerably.

Yes I am well into my twilight years and like you need all the help I can get.Triples May be frowned on in some circles , but I am not a proud chap.

OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran
I have a Campag triple 52 42 32 on my old 2003 Giant. Largest rear cog is 28.

Considering changing to 50 40 30.If I could find a 30 or 32 rear I would lower my gearing considerably.

Yes I am well into my twilight years and like you need all the help I can get.Triples May be frowned on in some circles , but I am not a proud chap.
Excellent, can't abide snobs of any type.... bike related or otherwise !

OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran
I shouldn’t worry, if it help you and fits your riding style. The vintage bike police aren’t going to arrest you!
I recon l could outrun a vintage bike policeman specially if they were of similar vintage to me. At least l could until a few days ago when lsomething squishy in my left knee went pop !

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Triples have been around for quite a long time (I used 'em long before I was an old fart). There was a vintage tandem sporting a quad set at last year's Semaine Federale.

If it keeps your knees from exploding and the bike on the road, then go for it!
My little gaspipe Bianchi has a Campagnolo Mirage triple chainset which is a little bit later than the bike, but I think it can carry it off. I also fitted cheaper brakes with suicide levers for Eroica Britannia and, again, no-one arrested me for crimes against cycling. :smile:

On an aesthetic level, I think a lot of silver triple chainsets look 'light' enough to barely be noticed as triples, though I'm not sure I'd got for a black chainset as they just look more obtrusive.

OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran
If it keeps your knees from exploding and the bike on the road, then go for it!
My little gaspipe Bianchi has a Campagnolo Mirage triple chainset which is a little bit later than the bike, but I think it can carry it off. I also fitted cheaper brakes with suicide levers for Eroica Britannia and, again, no-one arrested me for crimes against cycling. :smile:

On an aesthetic level, I think a lot of silver triple chainsets look 'light' enough to barely be noticed as triples, though I'm not sure I'd got for a black chainset as they just look more obtrusive.

You are absolutely right, l was so busy envying the Bianchi l hardly noticed the triple. So l have just bought a Campagnolo Centaur triple for my build project. So now have the frame and the chainset and thats as far as l have got :smile:

OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran
Apologies I've not been following, but have you got a new project then?
I have and its entirely your doing lm happy to report ! It came to me in a flash, having been completely blown away by your "Eddy" project, l need to have
an ongoing enterprise of my own. Since l haven't done a self "custom"build before and l am not especially knowledgeable about it, l looked for a fairly cheap frame to practice on and found this...
Now the fun begins, lm in no rush and want to enjoy every step of the way and with luck end up with a bike that l am happy with.
Oh yes if you have any advice that you wouldn't mind sharing l would be very happy to hear it !

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 81
Top Bottom