Campagnolo chains.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Has anyone tried a different make of chain on campagnolo? How did they work, i tried KMC when i had 10 speed campag, but did not like the way it shifted, Am fitting a new chain to a mates bike and he wanted to try a KMC chain 11 speed. I think he should stick to campag, your thoughts please.

Don't poke a stick into a hornet's nest.

Of course it works, and not only works, works well and is much cheaper too.

The Campag disciples will come along soon and warn you that Campag chains are made from secret-formula steel, to tolerances that others can't even tolerate and was made in a factory where people in white coats mutter "Specifications, specification, specifications" all the time.

It is your friend's money, help him save some of it and ask him to buy you a beer.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I use KMC ten speed chains on my Campag Veloce and they seem to work just fine. Mind you, I'm not exactly a super-athlete so marginal improvements in mechanical systems would be totally swamped by my physical inadequacies.

davidphilips

Veteran
Tend to buy best chain that has the best discount and buy a few at a time, Cheap chains with out hardened pins dont seem to last very long only my view but just buy Shimano, KMC or Sram, when buying Sram i never buy any chain with the last 2 numbers under 50 as they are the non hardened pin type. Plus tend to like nickel plated chains/cassettes just because they look good.

Tend to buy best chain that has the best discount and buy a few at a time, Cheap chains with out hardened pins dont seem to last very long only my view but just buy Shimano, KMC or Sram, when buying Sram i never buy any chain with the last 2 numbers under 50 as they are the non hardened pin type. Plus tend to like nickel plated chains/cassettes just because they look good.
What chains don't have hardened pins?
How can you tell if they are hardened or not?
At what price-point do you think they are not hardened?

silva

Über Member
One used argument is the depth that the heat treatment reaches to harden the steel till there, deeper than competition / whoever.
There is alot bullshit talk in the specifications towards end-consumers.
Between businesses, actual process names are specified. Alike "electrolytic galvanized". To consumers they (KMC) make that "Rust Buster Technology".
Another one is related to impress ppl with stainless steel. The cheapest (and most common) stainless steel is grade 304. "Made from Grade 304 Stainless Steel", suggesting that grade number is more expensive / less common.
Ex KMC again, they had (ceased) a stainless steel chain. It is stainless, and one link plate is twice as thick as the other.
Stronger? Not really - it's to compensate for weakness of stainless.
And the advertisement only names stainless alike the entire chain is. Not, the pins are not stainless, so rust. And since a serial setup as a chain and also a link in it, is as strong / resistent as its weakest (strenght, corrosion proneness,..) part, the entire net stainless benefit is reduced to at best cosmetics in sunny dry summerdays.

gbb

Legendary Member
I've run Shimano, KMC and Sram on my Veloce 10 speed setup as well as the original campag chain, never noticed a jot of difference.

gbb

Legendary Member
And whichever chain I used, Campag, sran, shimano and kmc, I never had any appreciable difference in chain life, 1200 to 1600 miles on each.

YellowV2

Veteran
And whichever chain I used, Campag, sran, shimano and kmc, I never had any appreciable difference in chain life, 1200 to 1600 miles on each.
That's not great mileage, I typically get 2000+ from Campagnolo chains. My current chain has covered well in excess of 1000 miles and is still indicating new on my chain gauge, I replace at .5 on the indicator normally.
I have a KMC chain on my winter bike with Veloce (first time as it was cheap!) I will be interested to see how it compares.

Reactions: gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
That's not great mileage, I typically get 2000+ from Campagnolo chains. My current chain has covered well in excess of 1000 miles and is still indicating new on my chain gauge, I replace at .5 on the indicator normally.
I have a KMC chain on my winter bike with Veloce (first time as it was cheap!) I will be interested to see how it compares.
There always was differing mileages achieved between different people, I assume differing styles particually influences it. I used to hammer up inclines, out of the saddle, push push push on the flat (within in my own humble ability) and despite very good chain maintenance, I never achieved over 1600 miles.

A Campag chain, in the same conditions as another chain, will get the same miles. Mileage is a factor of force x gear size x dirt co-efficient. I bet yours is more favourable than GBB's conditions.

You can't make assumptions from anectdotal evidence like you've just done.

Top Bottom