Campagnolo chains.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

YellowV2

Veteran
A Campag chain, in the same conditions as another chain, will get the same miles. Mileage is a factor of force x gear size x dirt co-efficient. I bet yours is more favourable than GBB's conditions.

You can't make assumptions from anectdotal evidence like you've just done.

Conditions and riding styles may well have an effect on outcomes. Obviously a campag chain in the same condition will be the same as any other but it isn’t in the same condition. It’s not as worn for similar mileage. YMMV

Conditions and riding styles may well have an effect on outcomes. Obviously a campag chain in the same condition will be the same as any other but it isn’t in the same condition. It’s not as worn for similar mileage. YMMV

Same conditions. Plural. I.e., operating under the same conditions.

Same input, same wear.

presta

Guru
That's not great mileage, I typically get 2000+ from Campagnolo chains. My current chain has covered well in excess of 1000 miles and is still indicating new on my chain gauge, I replace at .5 on the indicator normally.
I have a KMC chain on my winter bike with Veloce (first time as it was cheap!) I will be interested to see how it compares.
At 0.5% wear, my SRAM chains average 4200 miles.

YellowV2

Veteran
Same conditions. Plural. I.e., operating under the same conditions.

Same input, same wear.

So I can only give my experiences of Campagnolo chains Vs Shimano and KMC (I’ve never used sram) and that is they typically last longer for me on my bikes. I also know others who say they have find the same. I can only share my experience and that is all I can post.

gbb

Legendary Member
So I can only give my experiences of Campagnolo chains Vs Shimano and KMC (I’ve never used sram) and that is they typically last longer for me on my bikes. I also know others who say they have find the same. I can only share my experience and that is all I can post.
And that's all 99% of us can do, use our personal experience. But then we have to be open minded, was one chain used more in the winter, subject to more crud, a little less maintenance, a bit more grunt from you etc etc. Mine all lasted within a band of 400 miles, but that extra 400 miles is a whopping extra 25% over my least achieved mileages. That's a big percentage given I thought nothing was changing at the time....obviously something was.
I dont get hooked up about chains anymore. One guy on here achieves ridiculous mileages by using WD40 as a lube, I destroyed mine using WD in very short time, who knows how or why ?. Just replace as necessary, lube and clean regularly without any ceremony is my motto now...accept chains wear (aimed at the wider audience, not you personally yellow) :okay:

You're just being pedantic. By 0.5% wear I mean wear that causes an elongation of 0.5%.
It may look like pedantry, but all I wanted to establish was what you mean by 0.5% because, for a 0.5% elongation in chain length, you managed to achieve a very high mileage.
There's lots of confusion here about quantifying chain wear.
Your mileage is about double the average, hence my wanting to get to the bottom of it.
Having now established what you mean, I can only ask, how the hell did you manage that?

presta

Guru
I can only ask, how the hell did you manage that?
I think a more pertinent question is how the hell does everyone else manage to wear their chains out so fast. I don't do anything, I just get on the bike, ride it, and clean the transmission when I service the bike about once every 1500* miles. If it looks a bit dry after rain I put some oil on, but only if I remember.

(* When I was doing 5000-6000 miles a year, I serviced the bike at the start & finish of the winter, and start & finish of the summer tour. Nowadays, I don't manage 1500 miles a year, so that's about how often it gets cleaned and serviced.)

YellowV2

Veteran
And that's all 99% of us can do, use our personal experience. But then we have to be open minded, was one chain used more in the winter, subject to more crud, a little less maintenance, a bit more grunt from you etc etc. Mine all lasted within a band of 400 miles, but that extra 400 miles is a whopping extra 25% over my least achieved mileages. That's a big percentage given I thought nothing was changing at the time....obviously something was.
I dont get hooked up about chains anymore. One guy on here achieves ridiculous mileages by using WD40 as a lube, I destroyed mine using WD in very short time, who knows how or why ?. Just replace as necessary, lube and clean regularly without any ceremony is my motto now...accept chains wear (aimed at the wider audience, not you personally yellow) :okay:
I agree 100%. I don't ride my best bike in winter but my experience is based on one bike used in winter and another in summer primarily.
I don't know whether one brand of chain lube or WD40/GT85/3in1 or even car engine oil makes any difference.
As has been said different weather conditions and riding styles will contribute to differing rates of wear and as you say;

"Just replace as necessary, lube and clean regularly without any ceremony is my motto now...accept chains wear"

Top Bottom