Campagnolo or Shimano on a Bianchi?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RegG

Über Member
Now that I am really getting into this cycling lark, I feel like treating myself (and spend some of my kids inheritance!) on a Bianchi. What I would really like is a Bianchi in that great Celeste green colour, but it would appear that within my price range I would be looking at one with Campagnolo groupset and not Shimano which is what I have become accustomed to.

Now, I know there will be the real fans of Campag out there who would not have anything else, but can someone please explain how the Campag differs from the Shimano in terms of changing gear etc.

Anyone considering Shimano on a Bianchi should go and buy a Specialized bike.

vickster

Legendary Member
Go try campag, see how you like it. Purists say campag on Italian bikes but if it doesn't work for you, go with what does

I like celeste but even as a woman, not sure I could have a bike that's all celeste

Milkfloat

An Peanut
IMO If you have to have a Bianchi then it needs to be campag and celeste, but I would rather spend my money on something else.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Now that I am really getting into this cycling lark, I feel like treating myself (and spend some of my kids inheritance!) on a Bianchi. What I would really like is a Bianchi in that great Celeste green colour, but it would appear that within my price range I would be looking at one with Campagnolo groupset and not Shimano which is what I have become accustomed to.

Now, I know there will be the real fans of Campag out there who would not have anything else, but can someone please explain how the Campag differs from the Shimano in terms of changing gear etc.
Campag goes 'clunk' whilst Shimano goes 'click'. Honestly. That is about the entire difference, and I've got Campag, Shimano and SRAM across my fleet.

2IT

Everything and everyone suffers in comparisons.

Forty years ago I had an all campy Italian steel bike and loved it. Today I have carbon and Shimano Ultegra and love it.

On Saturday club ride a fellow with a Colnago with Shimano discussed why he went with Shimano.

Shimano allows much better cross over to other brands and replacement parts. Whereas it seems like Campy means forevermore Campy losing some switch out capability. Campy considers theirs to be a system.

So while I still think a great deal of Campy I don't want to be locked into their replacement parts at their prices.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Anyone considering Shimano on a Bianchi should go and buy a Specialized bike.
Chortle.

This would be Bianchi the Italian bike outfit that is a subsidiary of a Swedish company? But I expect the frames are made in the same Taiwanese factor as Spesh. Which is probably why they spec Shimano as OEM kit on so many of their bikes!

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
Campag goes 'clunk' whilst Shimano goes 'click'. Honestly. That is about the entire difference, and I've got Campag, Shimano and SRAM across my fleet.
Doesn't campag have a thumb shifter for one of the operations rather than being done by the brake or shift levers as shimano and SRAM

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Shimano allows much better cross over to other brands and replacement parts. Whereas it seems like Campy means forevermore Campy losing some switch out capability. Campy considers theirs to be a system.
fwiw my SRAMpagnolo equipped bike works fine, every bit as well as my SRAMano bike does.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Doesn't campag have a thumb shifter for one of the operations rather than being done by the brake or shift levers as shimano and SRAM
In each case you do a thing. It changes gear. What that particular thing is, well, I don't really care. I can see how it could be important to others, adapted to a single system.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
I have always used Campagnolo up to a month or so, I switched from record to Di2, Campag do not supply a big enough range of cassettes. and they are more expensive than Shimano. I would have stayed with Campag if there electronic system was on par with shimano. I still prefer campag mechanical shifting to shimano,the lower end campag can be a bit clunky. And as for Bianchi bikes there is a lot better out there for less money.Bianchi is well overpriced. Living on there laurels.:okay:

vickster

Legendary Member
I have always used Campagnolo up to a month or so, I switched from record to Di2, Campag do not supply a big enough range of cassettes. and they are more expensive than Shimano. I would have stayed with Campag if there electronic system was on par with shimano. I still prefer campag mechanical shifting to shimano,the lower end campag can be a bit clunky. And as for Bianchi bikes there is a lot better out there for less money.Bianchi is well overpriced. Living on there laurels.:okay:
That's as maybe but it sounds like the OPs heart is telling him Bianchi, often when spoiling oneself especially heart tramples on head

I'm sure black Specialized bikes ride really well but personally I'd never have one...even if a bargain for the best bike in the world :smile: I would never enjoy the ownership experience enough

Top Bottom