Campagnolo part that stops the quick release bar from falling out of the brake lever

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KatrineM

Is there a solution to this? Part no 21 has presumably split and fallen out. I can't find the individual part anywhere, only complete levers (Parts 30, 20, 21, 22, 23 & 12 all together) Rubber band or electrical tape fells a bit bodgy.
Ergolever.JPG

Any ideas would be appreciated (Or a supplier of part 21 in the UK or France)

T4tomo

Legendary Member
You look at that (and Shimano equivalent) and wonder why these things stop working after a while.

back in the day Campag shifters were always suppose to be more serviceable than Shimano, which are definitely an expensive disposable part once it breaks

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
back in the day Campag shifters were always suppose to be more serviceable than Shimano
Well, I managed to fix my Campagnolo shifter and I am no mechanic. I've never tried fixing a Shimano shifter though...

My Cannondale's 10 speed Chorus shifters are the previous year's Record design rebadged. They are excellent.

I got 12 year's of trouble-free use from the shifters before the right one finally started to lose its indexing 'click'. I found a useful Campagnolo video on YouTube showing how to disassemble the shifter and was subsequently able to restore it to its original excellence. I hope to get another 12 years of use from it.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Good work. I would end up with a pile of bits on the floor I think if I took one apart.:laugh:

I have anecdotal and completely unsubstantiated theory that shimano drop bar shifters are getting more brittle as the number of spds increase. My mate is still happily riding around on my old bike with 10spd Ultegra flight deck shifters working fine, which must be around 12 years old. My 6 year old 6800 11 spd RH one needed replacing due to a dodgy spring somewhere meaning the down shift and whole brake level randomly disengages. i haven't had the courage or time yet to see if it can be fettled as a spare. whilst sourcing a replacement there seems to be a lot of LH only levers on ebay, referring to broken RH ones.

OP
OP
K

KatrineM

The shifter is easily serviceable. It's more trouble finding a supplier for the parts. YouTube has some great tutos.
I was extremely nervous about it, but as it was broken, it was attempt a repair or buy a new Ergolever assembly.
I replaced the indexing springs, as one was broken, only to find the indexing ring is cracked too.
I put it all back together as a trial run, as I'm waiting for the indexing ring to come. It went back together well.
My remaining problem is the brake lever bar not being held in. It's the only part that doesn't seem to be listed by it's individual parts.
A new brake lever is an arm and a leg :blush:

Graham B

View attachment 589740

Is there a solution to this? Part no 21 has presumably split and fallen out. I can't find the individual part anywhere, only complete levers (Parts 30, 20, 21, 22, 23 & 12 all together) Rubber band or electrical tape fells a bit bodgy.
View attachment 589740
View attachment 589740

View attachment 589740
1. I have lost a QR pin (part 20) - and presume this tiny part is not obtainable without buying the complete lever assembly?
2. I don't understand how the pin works. It is the same diameter at both ends so how does pushing it outwards open the calipers? And why does it have two grooves?
(3. I assume part 21 keeps the pin in place so how I lost one is an annoying mystery!)

Chislenko

Veteran
I've always thought showing the production / build of Shimano brifters should be on that TV programme with the bloke doing the voice over showing how things are made.

"How do they do it" was it called, something along those lines.

Get.Schwifty

1. I have lost a QR pin (part 20) - and presume this tiny part is not obtainable without buying the complete lever assembly?
2. I don't understand how the pin works. It is the same diameter at both ends so how does pushing it outwards open the calipers? And why does it have two grooves?
(3. I assume part 21 keeps the pin in place so how I lost one is an annoying mystery!)

So, after mounting a new chain and cassette yesterday evening and putting them to the test, I lost one of the stops (weird: I hadn't lost the original pair in 25 years).

Lever Stops

Did you get some rubber stops like this? I can't see another way around it. It's a matter of retrofitting now on this 90s tech.

Ajax Bay

Guru
If @Graeme_FK is still knocking about, he's the man in the know when it comes to Campagnolo.
"Velotech Cycling Ltd offers modular training for cycle mechanics to industry-recognised standards. All of our product-specific training is signed off by the manufacturers themselves. We are the main Factory-Appointed UK Service and Technical Centre for Campagnolo. "GFK" is also Technical Director and a lead mechanic at The Service Corps, providers of Services de Course to races and other competitive and non-competitive cycling events in the UK and Europe"

winjim

Smash the cistern
"Velotech Cycling Ltd offers modular training for cycle mechanics to industry-recognised standards. All of our product-specific training is signed off by the manufacturers themselves. We are the main Factory-Appointed UK Service and Technical Centre for Campagnolo. "GFK" is also Technical Director and a lead mechanic at The Service Corps, providers of Services de Course to races and other competitive and non-competitive cycling events in the UK and Europe"

Right, what he doesn't know about Campagnolo probably isn't worth knowing. It's a shame he doesn't seem to post here any more, it was a real asset having such an expert as a contributor to the forum.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur

http://www.velotech-cycling.ltd.uk/campagnolo_servicing.shtml

Top Bottom