Campagnolo Zonda Clincher Wheelset

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jagman.2003

Über Member
I haven't been round these parts much recently. I have an allez elite 2010 model and it's slightly the worse for wear. The stock wheels were rubbish and I upgraded to 30mm 501s. To be honest they made a noticeable difference and I was quite happy with them. Their time has come however, the braking track is quite worn and the freehub is decidedly dodgy. Despite nursing it along with oil it has pretty much given up.

Anyway my ambition only stretched to rs21s and I've been reluctant to commit to spending that much on wheels (my 501s seemed a lot of money)

I don't know if it is the weather, or I've been struck down by some terrible affliction, but I've just pulled the trigger on a pair of Zondas.

I know they are only seen as mid-range wheels, and some of the rear wheels I see at TTs cost four or five times that, but it still seems like a huge amount of money to spend on wheels.

It's done now though and I just hope they are worth it!

Similar position to myself. I have recently built a bike with RS21's & have a commuter with R501's. The RS21's are strong & great on the flat. But don't seem very lively on the hills. Checking the weight they aren't the lightest. The R501's do actually seem to spin up quite well on my commuter. I have broken a couple of spokes. All in all I like them.

But I too had a mad moment & purchased the Zonda's. The reviews were very good & on sale! I fitted them & test rode yesterday. Only a short blast after my commute so not a really good test but seem pretty good to me. I switched the shimano cassette (shimano hub) & tyres over no problem. Hoping for a PR popping ride at the weekend.

The R21's will go on the commuter now & the R501's will go on a new winter project.

Nathan AV

I, like many seem to rate the R501's (not bad for a £70 wheelset) and have used them for over a year and in every weather conditions available. As Jagman.2003 said they do spin up well but when switching to other wheels such as the Zondas the difference is very noticeable (may just be a placebo but ill take it).

Peter T

I have had Zondas for 14 months and done about 5000 miles on them, they are stiff and a little noisy but have stayed true and spin up brilliantly. A massive upgrade on a 501 which are a couple of miles per hour slower in my view and flex awfully. I think this is the cheapest pricepoint upgrade for the greatest benefit. You could spend another £250 it would be marginal. But the difference performance between a Zonda and something like an Aksium or Fulcrum 7 is quite big so well worth the extra £120.

jagman.2003

Über Member
Mine are on and went for a 40 mile test ride with them on my Bianchi

26 pb's on Strava.....do I need to say more!

The ride is slightly harsher but they are quite light, seem to spin forever, good for climbing and quiet.

They won't be coming off anytime soon!

To agree with above view.
Went for first good spin with mine at weekend. Didn't want to be a segment slave so added another 8.5miles, a town & a hill to my previous best flat route.
Pretty impressed. Maintained exactly the same average speed of 20.3 over the longer distance. Six personal records & three within top ten overall.
It really seems to climb better. So will try a better climbing route next time.

Seemed a little harsher ride at first but settled down. I can wear my Campagnolo jersey with pride now!

OP
OP
sleaver

sleaver

Veteran
After they were sitting in the box due to exams, I finally swapped the wheels over last night and if all goes to plan should be going out for a ride later.

One question though, did anyone else have a small magnetic round bit of metal with a small black screw and if so, did I need to put it somewhere other than back in the box?

jagman.2003

Über Member
After they were sitting in the box due to exams, I finally swapped the wheels over last night and if all goes to plan should be going out for a ride later.

One question though, did anyone else have a small magnetic round bit of metal with a small black screw and if so, did I need to put it somewhere other than back in the box?
I cannot answer with complete detail. But I had a quick butchers at the instructions & it appeared to some tools for changing spokes. The spoke nipple isn't accessible from the tyre rim. I put my magnet & screw bag in the bag & stashed away to be lost completely later.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
As @jagman.2003 says it's for your spokes, I lost mine about 10 minutes after putting the wheels on :thumbsup:

OP
OP
sleaver

sleaver

Veteran
Thanks. At least I know that something isn't going to fall off 10 meters down the road :smile:

Well, that still depends on my skills at changing wheels :smile:

Kbrook

Veteran
I have just sent my Zondas back to wiggle, when I span them holding the freehub it didn't spin properly at all, freehub vibrated and was notchy if that makes sense. Anyone else had similar problems?

jagman.2003

Über Member
I have just sent my Zondas back to wiggle, when I span them holding the freehub it didn't spin properly at all, freehub vibrated and was notchy if that makes sense. Anyone else had similar problems?

Mine ran very smooth & quiet. I have shimano hub. I have heard the Campagnolo version is pretty noisy!

Top Bottom