Campagnolo's wearing in as Shimano's wearing out?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bianchi1

Guru
only campag would do a version of a groupset with red bits and the option of carbon brake levers purely for aesthetic reasons…

And those levers are just a carbon coating over a alloy lever.

I crashed on a pair once, and was surprised to see all the metal underneath the carbon coating! Strong tho, and I'm sill happily using them.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
And those levers are just a carbon coating over a alloy lever.

I crashed on a pair once, and was surprised to see all the metal underneath the carbon coating! Strong tho, and I'm sill happily using them.
well they weigh 1g more than the plain black ones, and for an extra tenner…

shadow master

I thought another saying was:

Campagnolo is pretty, Sram is light and Shimano works.

Seems about right.
Ain't that the truth....just look at bike's on the market what do you see!Merida produce 3 million bikes a year,in 77 countries! Almost all shimano equipped....hence easy access to spares all over the world!

shadow master

But look so good! I've got some new ones (not the red but the standard centaur) on the way because the scratches have taken all the joy from my rides.
Like all things Italian...style over substance,just like there cars! The reason it lasts is its so agricultural!

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
I stopped buying Campag when it stopped being polished silver. I called it Crapnagolo for a good while with my Chorus set up giving rubbish shifting. I replaced cable inners and then outers. Installed all new ferrules and tried a variety of different lubricants on the cables. All to no avail, it was still deeply rubbish.

Much later I discovered that little plastic cable guide under the BB had come adrift. A self tapper later at it was all good! The bike is still on the original everything and has done affair few miles.

I want to try electric Shimano next though.

If you are as old as I am, and can remember Benelux, you will probably hold that both brands are excellent - which I do!

U

User482

I've never understood why people think shimano isn't durable, it's certainly never been my experience. I'm still using a 6500 Ultegra group on my winter bike, it must be 12 years old. Admittedly the ratchet in the right hand shifter is just starting to wear out.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Campag is prettier, but had an early Veloce shifter wear out within 18 months - the version with unserviceable innards - Campag do make mistakes, and the Veloce front changer isn't as crisp as my Tiagra. Have no experience of recent high end Campag however, Ultegra 6800 must be hard to beat. Liked Gran Sport back in my faster days.

Top Bottom