Campers, what do you eat?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Agreed, and it is amazing what you can achieve with a Trangia!

Unless you're in more remote parts that draw many tourers for the very reason of their remoteness. In the North West Highlands, the nearest convenient shop is probably 20 miles back the way you came and if it's the day before its weekly stock delivery from civilisation, you'd likely be faced with having to make a meal out of a packet of dried lentils, a two finger kitkat and a postcard of a sheep in a red phone box :smile:

And veg is pretty much unavailable entirely in the highlands. I recall the grocer in glencoe having approx 1 onion - and that was mouldy. Though they did have 5 types of midge repellent

If I can find a decent butcher - then fillet steak - there are bits of Europe that it can be difficult to find well stocked shop and supermarkets - but with a bit of planning its not difficult to find the ingredients to manufacture a meal that is better in quality and quantity at a quarter of the price of a meal in a restaurant

snorri

Legendary Member
Unless you're in more remote parts that draw many tourers for the very reason of their remoteness. In the North West Highlands,...................., you'd likely be faced with having to make a meal out of a packet of dried lentils, a two finger kitkat nd a postcard of a sheep in a red phone box :smile:
...or a bit of venison or mutton roadkill, or salmon fresh from the river, mackerel fresh from the sea, or a nice fat puffin from the cliffs:smile:.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
I tend to carry those little coffee milk cartons like the one's you get in supermarket cafes (sometimes very like if I remember to liberate enough of them :whistle:)

As for cooking, I carry some pasta and stock cubes for something warm, but often live of sandwiches or oatcakes and cheese.

Teuchter

Über Member
...or a bit of venison or mutton roadkill, or salmon fresh from the river, mackerel fresh from the sea, or a nice fat puffin from the cliffs:smile:.
Baked hedgehog, anyone?

Now you've got me craving mackerel fried in oatmeal. That's tonight's dinner plan sorted (not fresh from the sea, unfortunately).

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Baked hedgehog, anyone?

Now you've got me craving mackerel fried in oatmeal. That's tonight's dinner plan sorted (not fresh from the sea, unfortunately).
Lovely on a bed of rice with peas. :hungry:

tadpole

Camping on my own I fit everything I need into a 20ltr rucksack Cook on a mini gas stove £6 off ebay, gas £3 per mini cartridge. last three or so days of hot food. but for slightly more variety I'm sure that this guys take on thing could be modded to suit

Do "Vesta" still make those dried curries with rice? Just add boiling water and simmer for ten minutes. Then feed it to the dog, who will probably also walk away from it! They were rough xx(.

A different age wasn't it? I remember the ads from my distant childhood - they were considered rather sophisticated I think. Too sophisticated for our family for sure. Remember that Michael Caine Harry Palmer film where he's considered a gourmet because he selects his TINNED mushrooms? Look at this way, your most humble efforts with a Trangia are likely to be fine dining compared to the ***t many Brits used to eat. And some still do of course.

Linking from that to the main topic, I'd avoid the pasta sauces praised by many on here - most are a manufacturer's slimy (in two senses at least) experiment in adulteration. The main ingredient is of course tomato, and processed at that. Just pick up a tin of tomatoes, available in even the humblest shop so you can easily pick one up each day. All tomato and juice. You can chop them (if needed) and add some better stuff of your own for flavouring, or lightly fry some peppers/onions or whatever and just chuck that in. You don't need to heat the tomatoes any more than you do the "sauce" though many Brits do. Tins can cost as little as 25p. Spend the money saved on adultered slime on wine.

I can recommend Aldi red pesto. Not just for pesto dishes. Mix it in with other stuff, including tin of above mentioned tmatoes, to boost the flavour. Oh and you can always chuck in one or two tomatoes as well. Tomatoes rule - good for you - I used to find them boring as kid but have sen the light.

saoirse50

Veteran
And veg is pretty much unavailable entirely in the highlands. I recall the grocer in glencoe having approx 1 onion - and that was mouldy. Though they did have 5 types of midge repellent
I might have agreed with this comment a few years back. I remember one trip, maybe 15 years ago, with my daughter, wandering into the first shop we had encountered for many miles. A small shed really, stocked with a few tins and packets, a few bottles of sterilised milk and a handful of shrivelled carrots, neeps and potatoes. However, times have changed, and there are a fair few decently stocked shops and small supermarkets these days. Enough to ensure that on my last trip, 4 weeks in May and June, covering, Coll, Outer Hebrides and a fair chunk of the North West coast to a bit beyond Durness, I was able to eat plenty of well balanced meals with fresh veg and fruit every day. Lovely Scottish raspberries and strawberries for breakfast with my porridge too. Here is a sample, although it's hard to see the broccoli, Savoy cabbage and wild garlic over which the fish is being steamed (in a splash of dry white wine of course)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 55

Sara_H

Guru
I like cous cous, the packs with flavouring in are good and then add veg, mixed beans, chick peas etc to them. You can get packs of pasta too.

And I know this isn't normal but I really like Smash potato! Smash and vegetarian sausage with vegetarian bisto is usually the meal on the first night!

Top Bottom