Campers, what do you eat?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

saoirse50

Veteran
I like cous cous, the packs with flavouring in are good and then add veg, mixed beans, chick peas etc to them. You can get packs of pasta too.

And I know this isn't normal but I really like Smash potato! Smash and vegetarian sausage with vegetarian bisto is usually the meal on the first night!
Smash and baked beans is great...eat too much smash, though, and it does very odd things to your digestive system DAHIKT

Sara_H

Guru
Smash and baked beans is great...eat too much smash, though, and it does very odd things to your digestive system DAHIKT
You can mitigate the effects by having prunes for pudding.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I don't like being quite so blunt, but your post is misleading, in fact it is complete and utter nonsense.:smile:

mild exaggeration at worst

Joking aside even the most veg free and down market emporium in the highlands will probably be selling the best beef you could find anywhere on earth

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Surprised nobodys mentioned the "burnt weeny sandwich" so loved by Frank Zappa he used it as an album title.
Instructions,
Stick fork into hot dog then hold in open flame (fire or stove) turning until slightly charred, wrap in a slice of bread then scoff (mustard optional) :hungry:
Source:- The Real Frank Zappa Book.

doog

[QUOTE="Sara_H, post: 3190343, member: 14522"]I like cous cous, the packs with flavouring in are good and then add veg, mixed beans, chick peas etc to them. You can get packs of pasta too.

And I know this isn't normal but I really like Smash potato! Smash and vegetarian sausage with vegetarian bisto is usually the meal on the first night![/QUOTE]

cous cous is my staple diet on tour, they used to do packets of zingy type tuna / pepper/lemon etc but havent seen it lately.

saoirse50

Veteran
You can mitigate the effects by having prunes for pudding.
Smash and baked beans, followed by a dessert of stewed prunes. Mmmmm. Then nine hours or so in the saddle. Not sure quite sure what the results of that might be. And not certain I want to find out! I'll take your word for it...and stick to maybe one dish of Smash and beans per tour.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Smash and baked beans, followed by a dessert of stewed prunes. Mmmmm. Then nine hours or so in the saddle. Not sure quite sure what the results of that might be. And not certain I want to find out! I'll take your word for it...and stick to maybe one dish of Smash and beans per tour.
Sounds more like 9 hours on the porcelain saddle to me. :whistle:

OP
OP
Brandane

Brandane

Legendary Member
Had a try at this self catering camping last night. Took the motorbike, so weight wasn't so much of an issue. Headed down to the Solway coast near Kirkcudbright, and camped at Brighouse bay. £20.50 :eek: for a space in a field! I was expecting en-suite facilities and a team of butlers to erect my tent and cook my dinner for me. Alas, the bogs were 5 minutes walk away and cooking was down to me, as was erecting the tent.
I had stopped at a Sainsburys en route, and deciding to keep it simple, bought a packet of dried Batchelors mexican chilli, and a tin of new potatoes. Well what can I say but it was dross! If you must sell such tasteless crap, Batchelors, at least add some extra hot chilli powder so that we can't tell. This was some bland soya nonsense which had a cheek to call itself mexican chilli. Thankfully I had taken some home made lentil and bacon soup too, so I survived.
All part of the learning curve.
So next time I have to make some more effort and carry some better ingredients, in line with the advice given on this thread.

OP
OP
Brandane

Brandane

Legendary Member
£ 20.50 :eek: For a feckin tent, did the guy not like motorcycles or did he think you were English, Unreal :cursing:
It's twice as much as I have ever paid in the past, anywhere. I am just hoping this is not some new trend. I only do camping as a cheap option, if I could afford hotels or B&Bs then that is where I would be. No surprise that there were only 2 other tents in my field (space for about 30) despite perfect weather and school holidays. Hope the greedy barstewards put themselves out of business.

Teuchter

Über Member
This is why I much prefer wild camping to using campsites. Of course finding a good wild camping spot is difficult or impossible in many parts of the country unless you're into "stealth camping". Where it is possible though, to me at least there's no comparison between camping in a scenic, secluded and remote location instead of in a soggy field next to a load of other (probably noisy) folk in tents. I can live without showers for a couple of nights (if I'm by myself!) and wouldn't want to pay for your average campsite toilets anyway.

I leave campsites for when I'm taking the wife and kids in the car... and always pack my earplugs when I do!

raleighnut

Legendary Member
At least nowadays with the "clean up after your dog" campaign there are bins where they expect to find crap in carrier bags.:whistle:
For a laugh sometime look on Sheldons pages (Retro Raleighs) and follow the link in bicycle humor to Ken Kifers page The article "how to camp anywhere" had me in stitches. :biggrin:

Top Bottom